I’ve mentioned before that I’m a sandwich lover.
You’d think that being gluten free would slow me down a bit, but really it hasn’t. Other than missing artisan bread from the bakery, I’m still enjoying them.
If I have a salad for breakfast, it’s usually a sandwich or wrap for lunch. ( I frequently have a salad for breakfast. Yes, I know that is weird.)
Or, sometimes the salad is for lunch, and it’s the sandwich that I enjoy for breakfast.
You’d think that that could get boring, but if you’ve been around my kitchen for long, you know that I don’t do boring.
I am always mixing things up.
Today’s California Club Sandwiches are my latest creation.
Satisfying any time of day!
- 2 large avocados, pitted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Olive oil spray
- 8 ounces turkey or tempeh bacon
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced
- 8 slices gluten free bread (or whole wheat)
- 1 cup sprouts
- In a small bowl mash the flesh of one avocado with lemon juice, sea salt and cayenne pepper. Slice the second avocado thinly.
- Spray a skillet with olive oil and cook bacon until brown. Remove from heat. Add onion slices to skillet and cook until brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading mashed avocado on a slice of bread. Layer tomatoes, onions, bacon, sprouts and avocado slices. Top with remaining slice of bread and serve.