I’ve talked a lot on Cooking Quinoa about how I am prone to food ruts.
TRUTH: I once ate the same salad, which my boys affectionately refer to as “Mom’s stinky salad”, everyday for breakfast for six months.
I also at the same quinoa bowl everyday for a month. And the exact same wrap for two months.
These ruts don’t serve me well as a food blogger, but as long as the ruts are healthy they can be useful when it comes to sticking to a healthy diet.
The problem comes in when I fall into an unhealthy rut.
Like the one where I cook a pasta casserole every single night because I like having dinner prepared early.
Or the one where I’m using chocolate for energy because the baby is still getting up twice a night and the only way she will sleep well is in bed with Mom and Dad which means she is the only one sleeping.
Since healthy ruts haven’t been my thing lately, I’ve been trying to mix things up a bit to keep my focus on eating right.
This salad is a great main course salad that works well for lunch or dinner. It is easily doubled, making it great for planned leftovers.
I use my Skinny Balsamic Dressing, but feel free to substitute your favorite dressing!
- Chicken Arugula Salad with Oranges and Goat Cheese
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 8 ounces chicken or tempeh, diced
- 1 oranges, peeled and cut into sections
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese (or nut cheese)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Skinny Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss with desired amount of dressing.