This Chicken Quinoa Casserole is a healthier alternative to Chicken & Rice. With chicken, quinoa and a homemade cream of celery soup, you’ve got a delicious casserole that the whole family will love. This is a great quinoa recipe to introduce your kids to quinoa!
How is your summer going?
It has been sweltering here and thought it certainly feels like summer, I can’t say that I’ve been enjoying traditional summer things. When you live in warm climates, summer becomes how I imagine winter for those up north. You just sort of deal with it and know that better times are coming soon.
I’m looking forward to days by the pool and grilling out when September rolls around.
Still, there is something I’m doing that has made me so happy. I’ve started “dating” the boys.
Recently I realized that since Skye came along, they weren’t getting enough of my attention. Of course, I’m with them all the time. But when Skye is there she demands her Mama’s full focus.
So a few weeks back, I had a conversation with them and asked if they would like to have a special day out once a week. They responded with such enthusiasm that it blew me away.
We’ve done this several times, and each time I’m amazed at how happy it makes us all. I feel like I’m connecting with them, and that connection extends out to the rest of the week. I love taking them to nicer restaurants (that I’d never take Skye to) and enjoying a meal with real conversation and not worrying about eating fast before a fit starts.
It is one of the best traditions I’ve ever started for our family.
What are things you’ve done that have positively impacted your relationship with your children?
Another great tradition is dinnertime. This Chicken Quinoa Casserole is one I’ve been making for several years! It is kid-friendly and so easy to put together. If you are short on time, you could use canned cream of celery soup.
- Olive oil spray
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 5 cups chopped cooked chicken or Beyond Meat Chicken Strips
- 3 cups cream of celery soup (I used this recipe)
- 16 ounces Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 3 quart casserole dish with olive oil.
- Spray a skillet with olive oil and heat to medium. Add onion and celery and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender. Transfer to a large bowl and add quinoa and chicken. Toss well to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk together cream of celery soup, yogurt, milk, sea salt and pepper. Add to quinoa and chicken mixture and toss well to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish and top with breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.