This time of year, I sometimes feel like we get so focused on the big events that we forget to enjoy every day. With an ever-growing to-do list, it is sometimes hard to remember to slow down.
Although I’m not perfect, as I’ve gotten older I have gotten better at taking time out to enjoy the day-to-day.
The truth is, it doesn’t take much to elevate an evening from ordinary to special.
With three kids, getting out for adult time can be a challenge. A certain Princess doesn’t like it when Mom and Dad leave her with a stranger. Although I was babysitting by the time I was Alex’s age (he’ll be 12 this month), I am not ready to leave her with the boys. Though they are amazing with her, the world is a different place than it was in the 80’s and I’m just not there yet.
So, date night at home it is!
Even Wednesday night can be glorious with a little bit of planning.
I am in love with this Goat Cheese & Gruyere Fondue made and paired with Gloria Ferrer sparkling wine. It is a simple menu that doesn’t take hours in the kitchen but still feels special. I was able to pull everything together for this in less than 20 minutes.
I have been a fan of Gloria Ferrer wines since I first tried them. You can read about that HERE. I am not alone in my love for them – they have earned over 500 gold medals and 50 90+ scores in the last five years.
Although I loved their other wines, I had never tried their sparkling wines.
Now I have a new love.
Sparkling wine makes any evening special, don’t you agree?
Gloria Ferrer Caves & Vineyards is Carneros’ original sparkling wine house. The winery opened in 1986, founded by the Ferrer family of Spain. In addition to being the first sparkling wine house in Sonoma Carneros, it was also the first to bring back clones from France to plant their vineyard.
Thirty years later, with 335 acres under vine, Gloria Ferrer is known as an expert in the production of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. It produces estate grown still and sparkling wines that rival some of the world’s finest!
If you’ve never made fondue with sparkling wine before, you are in for a treat.
As corny as it may sound, I’m a bit of a fondue expert.
I’ve been making it for family and friends for more than 25 years. I’ve got to say, this Goat Cheese & Gruyere Fondue is one of my favorites.
Using a great quality sparkling wine like Gloria Ferrer pays off big in this recipe! It allows you to create a complex dish with amazing flavors with very little work.
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sparkling wine
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- For Dipping: Bread Cubes, Broccoli, Grape Tomatoes, Cauliflower, Sliced Green Apples
- In a small bowl, combine chives, parsley and garlic. Set aside.
- Add sparkling wine to your fondue pot. (You can also use a saucepan.) Heat over medium heat until steaming.
- Toss shredded Gruyere cheese with with cornstarch in a small bowl. Add Gruyere and Goat Cheese to the pot and cook over medium low heat, stirring often. With the cheese is melted and smooth, reduce heat to low and stir in lemon juice, black pepper and herb mixture. Sever warm with desired dippers.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.