There are few things that I love more than a gyro.
On more than one occasion, I’ve been seduced off the gluten free bandwagon by a gyro.
I know, I know. It is a terrible thing to do to myself. More often than not, I pay for it for days.
Strangely, I’ve never attempted to reproduce the global flavors at home. That is why I was thrilled when the American Lamb Board asked me if I’d like to create a recipe using lamb. I instantly knew it was time to make something I’d been contemplating for a while: a Gyro Quinoa Bowl!
Did you know that with over 82,000 family-owned sheep operations, you can get local lamb year round? I love that in addition to being known for its quality, flavor and tenderness it is also grass fed. Lamb works great with global flavors, including Latin, Middle Eastern, Asian and Mediterranean. Of course, I love my gyros. But lamb is also great for everything from kabobs to stews, marrying international flavor with local, flavorful American lamb is a winning recipe!
- 16 ounces ground lamb
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Tzatziki Sauce
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Spray well with cooking spray and add ground lamb, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes and rosemary. Crumble and cook until brown, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, make tzatziki sauce by combining yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, dill, garlic, vinegar and salt.
- Divide quinoa between bowls. Top with lamb, red onion, tomato, cucumber and feta. Drizzle with tzatziki sauce and garnish with parsley.
This dish was a huge hit at our house. In fact, I’ve already got it on the menu for next week. Who knew? A healthy gluten free quinoa bowl made with American Lamb satisfies the strongest of gyro cravings.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.