I’ve been trying my best to eat healthy lately. Really I have.
It’s really not my fault that this amazing fall weather is giving me the urge to bake near daily for the first time in years.
Lately I’ve been enjoying things like Cranberry Orange Scones, Chocolate Chip Muffins, and Double Chocolate Brownies. (All gluten free recipes that will make an appearance in my next cookbook.)
I’ve also been loving (gluten free) English Muffins and Focaccia Bread that I’ll be sharing here soon.
See why my healthy eating plans have been getting a bit….off track? Maybe a little too much baking has been going on at my house?
So of course, I am doing what any reasonable person would do. No, I won’t be cutting back on the baking. I’m having too much fun! (And my boys are extremely happy!)
Nope, instead I’m supplementing with some super-healthy meals like this Kale and Apple Quinoa Salad.
Really, how can you get any healthier than the combo of quinoa and kale?
I’m pretty sure it cancels out all the baking.
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or additional water)
- 1 ½ tablespoons agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups torn kale
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped Granny Smith Apple
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
- In a blender or food processor combine apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sunflower seeds, olive oil, water, agave nectar, sea salt and pepper. Process for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth, adding water if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Place kale in a large bowl. Cover with ½ of the dressing and massage into the leaves. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Add quinoa, apple, celery and red onion. Toss well adding additional dressing as desired. If desired, top with nuts or additional sunflower seeds