As soon as Christmas is over, the first thing my mind goes to are plans for the New Year. Although I am the first to admit that I haven’t really ironed out what my goals are for next year, one thing I am clear on is that I need to refocus myself on eating healthy, exercise and losing the rest of my weight.
Of course, quinoa will be a key focus in my diet! One thing I am really focusing on is finding “no excuses” type recipes that are so easy to put together that there is just no reason to not make them. If I’m honest with myself a key reason why I end up reaching for things that are less than ideal is due to either a lack of planning or the fact that I’ve planned to cook something that is complex and I’m just too tired to get it done.
Now for some of you, the popped quinoa may make this recipe seem a little complex. Since it keeps in the fridge for a week or more, I always pop some on the weekend when I’m cooking my quinoa, black beans and garbanzos. Then its on hand to whip up the boys some quinoa chocolate bars or to use in easy quinoa recipes like this one!
I’d like to encourage you to play around with this one! Different fruits and flavored yogurt will work just fine so have fun!
- ¾ cup quinoa, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups non-fat Greek or Vegan yogurt (We like Whole Soy & Company which is non GMO)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- Heat coconut oil in a popcorn popper or heavy duty saucepan. Add quinoa and pop for about five minutes, until the seeds become golden brown. (If you are using a saucepan you will want to cover it and shake frequently to prevent burning.) Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lime juice and agave nectar.
- Place diced mango in the bottom of a glass and top with yogurt and popped quinoa. Continue layers until your glass is full, ending with popped quinoa.