Did you know that essential oils are a great way to add flavor to your food? This Peppermint Ice Cream with Essential Oils is packed with flavor and a family favorite.
I will be the first to admit that I can be a little hard on the boys when it comes to food.
You see, I’ve struggled with my weight since turning 30, and I feel that the biggest reason is that I never learned to eat healthy as a child. We were a boxed mac-n-cheese, chips and Velveeta kind of family. Salad was iceberg lettuce slathered in bottled Ranch Dressing.
I want to make healthy choices to come naturally for my kids. In some ways, I’ve failed miserably (hello refusing anything green!) and in other ways, I’ve succeeded. Neither of my boys will ever overindulge on sweets. They are the only kids I know who will have three pieces of Halloween candy and choose on their own to put the rest up for later.
I supposed there is no such thing as a perfect parent, but lately, I’ve realized that I needed to temper my nagging of their food choices with the ability to indulge. Since I’ve relaxed, we’ve had a lot more fun in the kitchen.
Today’s Peppermint Ice Cream with Essential Oils is the perfect end of summer indulgence that the whole family will love!
I love cooking with my essential oils! Peppermint is an oil you probably already have on hand, but if you want to get started cooking with essential oils you might want to pick up Rocky Mountain Oils Sweet & Savory Spice Kit! With Cinnamon Bark, Blend of Vanilla, Clove, Nutmeg, Ginger Root, Oregano, Basil, Thyme and Rosemary it is the perfect way to get started with essential oil recipes!
Choosing an Essential Oil Company to Trust with Your Health is a Big Decision
I recommend Rocky Mountain Oils because I honestly believe they are the best oils for the money. They have strong ethics about oil production and grow their oils in their native environment. All of their oils are either organically certified, organically grown or wild crafted with no adulterating. (Most oils you buy at the local health food store are adulterated with propylene glycol or a similar substance. )
They offer free shipping, so it makes sense to order even if you just need one bottle!
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅓ cup raw sugar or coconut palm sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks or 2 eggs
- 4-6 drops peppermint essential oil, to taste (or 2 teaspoons peppermint extract)
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the cream into a metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and set a medium sieve on top.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks. Pour a small amount of warm milk into the egg yolks and whisk well. Continue slowly incorporating the warm milk into the yolks.
- Pour the eggs and milk back into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour custard through the strainer and stir until the cream. Stir until cool over the ice bath. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When ice cream comes out of maker it will be fairly soft. Stir in peppermint candy. Taste and add additional peppermint oil if desired. Put in an airtight plastic container and place in the freezer for at least an hour.
This post contains affiliate links. All opinions are my own.