I am so thrilled to be sharing an amazing quinoa burger recipe from my good friend Kim Lutz’s new book. Some of you may know Kim from her website, WelcomingKitchen.com where she shares amazing allergy friendly recipes.
Her latest book, Super Seeds: The Complete Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Chia, Quinoa, Flax, Hemp & Amaranth (Superfood Series) is one you quinoa lovers won’t want to miss! It is a complete guide to cooking chia, hemp, flax, quinoa and amaranth. There are 75 mouthwatering recipes that are all packed with nutrition. The book is great for vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free diets.
In addition to great recipes, I love the way the book goes in depth about the nutrient profiles and benefits of these super seeds. Even if you’ve never cooked with them (and I’ll admit I’m rather new to amaranth) Kim has you covered. She goes over everything you need to know about basic recipes and the simple tools you’ll need to use super seeds in various forms – whether it is flour, seed butter or non-dairy milk. She also goes over what to keep on hand to serve, store and re-use basic super seed preparations.
- Quinoa Breakfast Burritos
- Chocolate Sunflower Seed-Hemp Butter
- Creamy Veggie Dip
- Taco Salad (with Quinoa!)
- Cocoa Cookie Batter Power Bites (also with Quinoa!)
- Chocolate Ice Pops
- Amaranth Cornbread
I could go on!
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, cut into small dice
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Hemp Pesto (page 21)
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil spray
- Hemp Pesto
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 4 cups basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 shallot cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine flaxseed meal and water. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add shallots and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables are
- In a large bowl, combine flaxseed meal and cannellini beans. Mash with a potato
- Add the mushroom mixture, hemp pesto, quinoa flakes, and salt and pepper to the
- bowl, mixing together.
- Shape mixture into 4 patties.
- Spray a medium skillet with olive oil.
- Over medium heat, cook patties, 4 to 5 minutes per side, until they are warm all the
- way through.
- For the hemp pesto In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast hemp seeds for 1 to 2 minutes, until seeds
- are fragrant.
- Puree all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
If you are interested in healthy eating, you won’t want to miss this amazing book! Get it here!
Check out more amazing recipes from Super Seeds!
Amaranth-stuffed acorn squash (review on Spabettie)
Creamy golden corn soup (review on Go Dairy Free)
Hemp seed hummus (Review on Recipe Renovator)
Lemon-basil quinoa salad (review on The Blender Girl)
Massaged Kale Salad (review on Mama Balance)
Quinoa lentil soup (review on Ricki Heller)
Vegan Granola Cookies (review on Go Dairy Free)
Reprinted with permission from Super Seeds © 2014 by Kim Lutz, Sterling Publishing Co.