This easy to make Queso Dip is perfect for game day!
Confession: I like football, but I LOVE football food.
I get excited whenever a big game roles around and it is time to plan the menu.
First up: something cheesy, comforting and totally indulgent.
But just because we are indulging for a big night, doesn't mean we have to whip out the processed cheese. Seriously, have you ever read the ingredient list? Um, thanks, but I'll pass.
Instead, I like to stick with real food, like today's Cheese Dip.
This splurge-worthy dip is packed with flavor. You can serve it with gluten-free (and preferably organic) tortilla chips, but I also love it drizzled over veggies. I limit the peppers so that the boys will eat it, but if you are serving just adults feel free to add more.
[clickToTweet tweet=”This easy to make Queso Dip is perfect for #gameday!” quote=”This easy to make Queso Dip is perfect for #gameday!”]
- 1/4 cup diced red onion, divided
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 serrano chile pepper, minced
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon gluten free flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon red onion, tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro. Set aside.
- Melt the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining red onion, serrano pepper, jalapeño and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and cook for one more minute, stirring often. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking for 5 more minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken. Add the cheese and cook over medium low heat until it is melted. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the tomato mixture.
- Serve warm with chips and vegetables.