This easy to make Queso Dip is perfect for game day!
Confession: I like football, but I LOVE football food.
I get excited whenever a big game roles around and it is time to plan the menu.
First up: something cheesy, comforting and totally indulgent.
But just because we are indulging for a big night, doesn’t mean we have to whip out the processed cheese. Seriously, have you ever read the ingredient list? Um, thanks, but I’ll pass.
Instead, I like to stick with real food, like today’s Cheese Dip.
This splurge-worthy dip is packed with flavor. You can serve it with gluten-free (and preferably organic) tortilla chips, but I also love it drizzled over veggies. I limit the peppers so that the boys will eat it, but if you are serving just adults feel free to add more.
This easy to make Queso Dip is perfect for #gameday!Click To Tweet
- 1/4 cup diced red onion, divided
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 serrano chile pepper, minced
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon gluten free flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon red onion, tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro. Set aside.
- Melt the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining red onion, serrano pepper, jalapeño and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and cook for one more minute, stirring often. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking for 5 more minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken. Add the cheese and cook over medium low heat until it is melted. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the tomato mixture.
- Serve warm with chips and vegetables.