For me, a big part of balance in life is enjoying foods that I love. I am pretty lucky in that I truly enjoy salads, vegetables and juices.
I also happen to be wild about anything that is rich, creamy and cheesy. Yep, I kind of go nuts over indulgent foods.
The first thing I ever remember cooking is (boxed) Macaroni and Cheese under my Mother’s supervision. My first signature dish, what an insanely delicious homemade Macaroni and Cheese.
Not exactly health food.
Seeing as how I’m not getting any younger, for the last few years I’ve been all about making indulgent foods (like macaroni and cheese) a bit more sensible.
Creamy lusciousness with just 356 calories a serving.
- 6 ounces gluten free pasta (I used quinoa pasta)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces organic sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with olive oil.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding cauliflower in the last 6 minutes of cooking. Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and drain.
- Melt butter in the same pot. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Stir in reserved water, milk, and garlic. Cook for 8 minutes, until sauce is thicken, whisking often. Turn heat to low and stir in cheese, onion powder, salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and slowly stir in egg yolks. Toss with pasta and cauliflower.
- Transfer to prepared dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes.