I’ve mentioned more than once that I’m a lover of all things creamy. Rich, creamy pasta is at the top of my list.
This month as part of Recipe Redux, we were challenged to create a healthy freezer meal. Immediately I knew that I wanted to re-make one of my favorite pasta recipes into a healthier version.
The recipe I ended up with looked nothing like the Chicken Alfredo I started out to remake, but I love it just the same. I’ve packed it with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, but if you still have cherry tomatoes from your garden, I think they would be lovely here.
Now my secret weapon: I’ve used quinoa cream in place of heavy cream. To be honest, I’m not sure that I could tell a difference.
Make sure you check out all the other freezer meals!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes, rehydrated
- 5 ounces spinach, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups Quinoa Cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 ounces herbed goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces quinoa spaghetti
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a skillet to medium-high heat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet. Add chicken and cook for three minutes, or until brown. Flip and cook another 3 minutes. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and cook in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until no longer pink inside. Remove chicken from oven and chop.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to an ice water bath to stop cooking. Drain.
- Meanwhile, add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add garlic, spinach and sun dried tomatoes and cook until the spinach wilts. Add the quinoa cream and chicken broth and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 6 minutes, until slightly reduced. Add 1 cup Gruyere, parmesan, goat cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted. Add chicken and pasta and transfer to a casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of Gruyere cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- May be frozen uncooked. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.