This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Casserole is the perfect weeknight meal solution! With red pepper, corn, chicken, cheese and salsa, this slow cooker meal is one the whole family will love. Gluten Free with Vegan Option.
I have a confession to make.
I was very slow to jump on the Slow Cooker bandwagon. Perhaps it was a bit of prejudice left over from my everything-has-to-be-from-Fine-Cooking-or-Bon-Appetit days, but I always thought they were a little…boring.
And not like really cooking.
Then reality sunk in. I found myself the proud, but very tired mom to two active boys and a toddler with an energy level of the Energizer bunny. Suddenly meals that could be accomplished earlier in the day BEFORE I felt like curling up in the corner and whimpering became appealing. So what if it isn't the sexiest thing in the world? It's not as if my stretched out yoga pants covered in toddler food are exactly helping me out in that department either. They still make the cut.
You know what is even better? Unlike the aforementioned yoga pants, it turns out that your slow cooker doesn't have to be dull at all.
These days mine is getting a very serious workout (hello, keeping the oven off!) and I think yours should too!
To convince you, I've got a fairly healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Casserole that will have your taste buds singing. Even toddlers break for this one!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups organic frozen corn, thawed
- 1 lb cooked chicken or tempeh, shredded
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (or Daiya) - divided
- 32 ounces salsa
- 12 organic corn tortillas or use my quinoa corn tortillas
- For serving: Diced Avocado, Cilantro, Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream (optional)
- In a large bowl combine onion, bell pepper, corn, chicken or temp, taco seasoning, cilantro, garlic, salt and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Spread 1/3 of the salsa in slow cooker. Layer 6 tortillas over the salsa, overlapping. Top with 1/2 of the chicken filling, 1/3 of the salsa and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Layer remaining 6 tortillas on top. Top with remaining filling and salsa. (Reserve remaining cheese)
- Cook on low for 2 to 4 hours. In the last 20 minutes of cooking, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Serve with avocado and Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream.
With Tempeh: Servings 8, Calories 433, Fat 21.7g, Carbohydrates 39g, Protein 26.2g, Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 1084mg, Potassium 827mg, Fiber 5.6g, Sugars 6.4g