It is pouring down rain this morning.
The kind of morning that makes you want to pull the covers over your head and sleep a little longer.
Only I can’t.
The car and trailer are packed, and the only thing I’m waiting on is the rest of the family to get up. We are headed on a road trip!
And you know what that means? Road trip food!!!
(Have you noticed a theme? Whether we are talking about football or travel, I am all about the food. )For a delicious snack try these #SlowCooker Curried Cashews & AlmondsClick To Tweet
One of my biggest goals, when we travel, is to make sure we eat as well as we can. I try to pack as many snacks and meals as I can.
That is not to say I don’t love splurges. Just not the kind that leaves me feeling bloated for days.
I love splurges, but not the kind that leaves me feeling bloated for days.
I need to feel as good as I can when I’m going to be in the car with three kids for a week.
These nuts are the perfect blend of sweet and spicy, with an indulgent feel that will leave you satisfied. (And keep you away from the chips.)
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups raw almonds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or Earth Balance, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Spray slow cooker with olive or avocado oil.
- In a bowl whisk together honey, butter, curry powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Add cashews and almonds. Toss to coat. Transfer to the slow cooker and spread in an even layer. Cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook for another hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer nuts. Allow them to sit for 1 1/2 hours, until hard. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.