I received products from Just Hemp Foods in exchange for my honest opinion. All opinions are 100% mine.
I used to eat salads for breakfast every day. An odd habit I know, but at the time I would wake up craving veggies.
Somewhere along the line, I got out of this habit. Maybe it was because I ate the same salad with the same dressing every day for more than a year? Or maybe it is because my body started craving more protein in the morning.
Lately, I’ve been trying to get back into the salad habit on a consistent basis. If not for breakfast, then for lunch or dinner.
I have to say that I feel better when I eat salads, and I also enjoy them more than most anything that I make.
When I received a sample of Hemp Seeds from Just Hemp as part of Chocotoberfest, I knew immediately that I wanted to incorporate them into a salad.
A salad with a Chocolate Vinaigrette? I know – it almost as unusual as eating salad for breakfast. Trust me on this one – it is so good. Subtle, a little unexpected and addictive.
I’ve used strawberries here – because hello chocolate and strawberries – but pears would be nice too. (And are a little more seasonal right now.)
I loved the crunch that the hemp seeds added to the dish and the added protein. A single serving has 8 grams of plant-based protein with a near perfect balance of essential fatty acids. They are gluten-free, and Non-GMO Project verified.
I also used 1/4 cup of Just Hemp Foods Hemp Seed oil, which has 2.5g Omega-3 per serving.
This is a salad you don’t want to miss!
Make sure you check out the Just Hemp Foods website to learn more about their nutritious and delicious products!
- Chocolate Dressing
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (or 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup Just Hemp Foods Hemp Seed Oil)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 5 ounces Arugula or Spinach
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup Jus Hemp Foods Toasted Salted Hemp Seed
- Make the dressing by combining vinegar, olive oil cocoa powder, maple syrup, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a blender. Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine spinach or arugula, strawberries and mozzarella. Toss with the desired amount of dressing. Top with pecans and hemp seeds and serve.