These Sweet Potato Toasts with Egg, Parsley Almond Pesto, and Arugula make a fabulous breakfast and also a great snack!
I have been gluten-free for a couple of years now, and somewhere along the line, I realized that I had started to react to certain gluten-free products like bread.
It wasn't that I was getting sick from them, exactly.
More that they just weren't digesting quite as easily as non-processed foods.
They often left me feeling bloated and not my best.
Earlier this year (January 1st to be exact), I ditched the corn, bread, pasta, and tortillas.
I thought is would be impossible, and certainly didn't expect to stick with it for more than two months.
But, it has been surprisingly easy.
It has required a little creativity for sure.
I've used cheese for taco shells.
(Can you say yum?!)
Zucchini for pasta.
Cauliflower in place of pizza dough.
And sweet potato in place of toast.
Let's just say different, ok? You guys know I'm a little quirky, to begin with.
This is a surprisingly fun swap that you really should try.
It takes a little while for the sweet potatoes to get done in the toaster (depending on your toaster), so feel free to just throw them in the oven and get back to your morning.
- Combine parsley, garlic, almonds, and olive oil in a blender and then blend until a creamy but not completely smooth.
- Place sweet potato slices in toaster and cook on the ‘bagel’ setting or on the highest setting for 1-2 cycles until the slices are cooked-through.
- While sweet potato is toasting, fry eggs according to preference (keeping the yolks intact) in the olive oil.
- Spread sweet potato toasts with pesto, add ½ cup arugula, then egg.
- Sprinkle toasts with feta cheese and kosher salt flakes.
- Serve immediately, eat, and enjoy!