This Black Bean Spaghetti is a hearty and healthy vegetarian meal that the whole family will love. Easy to make, this recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal.Being a mom is such a funny thing.
Here I talked briefly about how spoiled my boys are.
I’m not proud of it but it’s true. They are great kids but my husband really, really loves buying them stuff. It often drives me crazy, but I’ve learned to stay out of it as best I can. (There is already the assumption in the house that all toys come from dad…because mom doesn’t like to buy toys. Even when I do.)
For the last two days, all those toys don’t seem to matter though. Nope, we have something FAR more exciting around the house.
And its not the baby.
Nope, the stroller/car seat box has LITERALLY captivated them for hours.
Now I’ve heard of toddlers playing all day with boxes but at 7 & 8 my boys are hardly toddlers.
So seeing them pass up the chance to play their days old Skylander game for the chance to play with a big huge box is…heart warming.
I can hardly get anything done because I’m sitting at the computer pretending not to listen to them…listening to them. It is truly amazing how creative kids can be, isn’t it? A huge reminder to us all that the simple things sometimes really are the best.
Speaking of simplicity, I’ve really been craving simplicity in my food lately. It’s been a bit of a back to basics time for me – mostly because I don’t have the energy for much else.
Today I’ve decided to share with you one of my favorite spaghetti recipes, which is lightly adapted from Quintessential Quinoa. Yes, the photos are old – back from when I was using a point and shoot camera – but the recipe…still love it.
It’s easy, satisfying and pretty darn simple.
Black Bean Quinoa Spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups cooked black beans or 2 cans
- 1 28 oz can tomato puree
- ½ cup chopped olives
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Quinoa Spaghetti
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan or vegan Parmesan
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper and red pepper. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add beans, tomato puree, olives, basil, and red pepper flakes. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions and drain. Place spaghetti on a serving platter and top with bean mixture. Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.