Today I thought I would share with you my quinoa and black beans recipe! This is a healthier alternative to white rice and beans, and also happens to be absolutely delicious. I don’t even like rice and beans and I really enjoy this quinoa recipe. My mom, on the other hand, LOVES rice and beans and this is one of her top three favorite quinoa recipes. You can use canned black beans in this recipe, but I use my favorite black bean recipe starting with dried beans to save money, lower sodium, and also steer clear of harmful BPA. If you do decide to go with canned beans, try to find a BPA free brand, like Eden Organic Black Beans.
Now, if you are new around here, there are a couple things to know. I love garlic and so if you are not a garlic fan you should absolutely cut down on the amount in this recipe. The same goes for the jalapenos. If you don’t like heat, DON’T stay out of the kitchen. Just dial it down a couple of notches so that thisrecipe is better suited to your tastes. (Although in my very humble opinion this is not so hot as long as you omit the jalapeno seeds. If you are a heat lover, bring on the Hot Sauce – my husband does!)
Black Beans & Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 14 ½ oz can of petite cut diced tomatoes
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 9 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 jalapeños chopped (for an extra kick save the seeds)
- 2 ½ cups black beans I use this black bean recipe
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Pure Himalayan Salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh oregano
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup queso fresco optional
- 1 avocado diced
- Bring a pot of water and quinoa to boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain in a fine Mesh Colander.
- Bring 2-3 inches of water to boil. Place quinoa in colander over the water. Place a clean cotton dish towel over the pot and cover with a lid. (Make sure the cloth is not so large as to cause a fire hazard) Steam for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain tomatoes, retaining juices. Add enough water to juices so that you have one cup of liquid.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and jalapeno, cook for 30 seconds. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Add black beans, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds and add in tomato liquid. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, oregano, cilantro and quinoa and cook for 7 minutes.
- Serve with diced avocados and queso fresco.