Last time, I was talking about how I have plans to re-focus on my health and get in shape this spring. (And how I’m inviting you all to join me! I’ve created a Facebook Group if you’d like to. There is nothing there yet but there will be starting next week!)
My plan is to start on April 15, but I’ve already started to put a few things in place.
First, I got a new FitBit. Well actually, my mom gave me one. (Thanks Mom!)
I had one last year and I will say that few things impacted my weight and overall health more than counting my steps. It really motivated me every single day to move more so I could hit that 10,000 steps. Maybe it is because I am in front of a computer so much, but when I accidentally killed mine in the wash, my weight loss stalled. (Note: In the FitBit’s defense, it survived three times through the washing machine and it was only when I also put it in the dryer after a fourth trip in the wash that it died.)
I’m competitive with myself like that. What gets measured, gets done and I had a hard time forcing myself to walk more when I didn’t know where I was for the day.
(By the way if anyone else has a FitBit, let’s connect so we can support each other!)
Secondly, I’ve started to think through some guidelines for myself of what I would like to do. Here is what I have so far:
- 10,000 steps a day
- At least 15 grams of protein at breakfast
- Keep a food diary (something I NEVER do)
- Eat veggies at least 3 times a day
- A big salad daily
- Focus on real food, limit my pasta to once a week (Not because pasta is the devil but because I overeat it.)
- Juice once I have access to my juicer again
- Work out – I’m still figuring that out
- Track Calories – I’m on the fence with this one. I know it works but it tends to be difficult when you are testing recipes.
And Lastly, I’ve been working on a bunch of new healthy recipes to change our menus up! Recipes like today’s Broccoli, Red Pepper & Chicken Stir Fry with Quinoa, which is so simple but also incredibly tasty. (If you are vegetarian or vegan, you can still enjoy this with tempeh!)
I just love how meals like this one make me feel!
Broccoli, Red Pepper & Chicken Stir Fry with Quinoa
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 red pepper seeded and sliced
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken or tempeh cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons gluten free tamari
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- Place water in a large rimmed skilled and heat to medium high. Add broccoli and cook for 2 minutes, until bright green. Remove broccoli from skillet.
- Add coconut oil to the same skillet. Add onion and red pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return broccoli to the pan and add scallions. Cook for 2 minutes, until crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from skillet.
- Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to the skillet. Add garlic, ginger and chicken or tempeh. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Return vegetables to the pan. Toss with tamari and maple syrup. Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and stock. Cook, scrapping the bottom for one more minute.
- Divide quinoa among bowls. Top with chicken and vegetable mixture and serve warm.