These Gluten Free Carrot Quinoa Muffins with Cinnamon Drizzle are a delicious way to start your day!
Gluten Free Carrot Muffins are a Great Way to Start the Day!
I may be in the minority, but I love mornings.
But there is something magical about waking up with a new day stretched out before you.
Typically, I get up hours before everyone else, some time between 5am and 6am (This wasn't always the case - Skye used to start her days at 4am- fun times.) I love the quiet as I drink coffee and plan my day. It never fails that as I write my to-do list, I am completely over confident in what can be accomplished. That doesn't stop me from writing out a two column list just about every day of my life.
I'm quite optimistic in the morning.
As much as I love getting up and getting going, I'm typically not a huge fan of cooking in the morning. With three kids, unless I plan ahead this can be a bit of a problem.
Muffins, like today's Carrot Quinoa Muffins, are one of my secret weapons. They keep everyone happy until I'm ready to get in the kitchen.
These also happen to be the only way I can get carrots into my youngest son, who is a self professed carrot-hater. The first time I made these, he didn't believe there were carrots in them until he carefully examined them. (I may have been guilty at shredding them on the fine blade of my food processor in an attempt to make sure he didn't know there were carrots in there before he declared he loved them.)
He then asked if they could count as his vegetables at lunch and dinner.
No, buddy, but nice try.
What are your go-to breakfasts for kids?
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
Gluten Free Carrot Muffins
Carrot Quinoa Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour blend
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup milk dairy or non-dairy
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs at room temperature (or flax eggs)
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- Cinnamon Drizzle optional
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon milk dairy or non-dairy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 9 paper cups. If using flax eggs, combine 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons warm water. Whisk well and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine gluten free flour blend, cooked quinoa, coconut palm sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- Combine milk and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside to curdle. If using flax eggs, combine 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons warm water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a medium bowl combine milk mixture, eggs or flax eggs and applesauce. Whisk until well combined. Add coconut oil and vanilla extract. Stir until combined and then add wet mixture to the dry mixture.
- Stir in carrots until just combined and spoon batter into cups. Bake for 22 to 28 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Top with cinnamon drizzle if desired.
- Cinnamon Drizzle In a small bowl combine all ingredients. Add additional milk until desired texture is achieved.