Though I’d like to think of myself as being pretty adventurous in the kitchen, stir fry isn’t something that I make that often While I love the fresh vegetables that come with stir fry recipes, I am not a huge fan of oriental cooking. Hubby on the other hand really enjoys it, so I decided to give it a whirl and use quinoa in place of the rice.
I got the inspiration for this dish from Jillian Michael’s new book, The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook. If you haven’t already gotten it, it’s a great cookbook that I highly recommend! (It has two great quinoa recipes to try. I love the breakfast Quinoa Berry Crunch! Yummm!) The original stir fry recipe does not have as much kick and used rice rather than quinoa. I really liked the crunchiness that the quinoa added. I think is is much better than the original would have been. (Not to mention – healthier!)
Chicken & Quinoa Stir Fry
- For the Quinoa:
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1 cup rinsed quinoa
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (gluten free
- For the Chicken and Stir Fry:
- 2 T rice wine vinegar divided
- 1 T plus 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 T lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp red chiles chopped finely
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken or Beyond Meat Chicken Strips
- 1 T Braggs Amino Acids
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 T organic virgin coconut oil
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1 T Fresh Ginger grated
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 Red Bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 Green Bell pepper sliced thin
- 8 ounces asparagus chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 5 oz fresh spinach chopped
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add rinsed quinoa and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook covered for 15-18 minutes.
- Allow to sit covered for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk together 1 T vinegar, 1 T sesame oil, lime juice, 1/2 tsp honey and chilies. Add the chopped chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- Whisk together Braggs, 1 T vinegar, 2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp honey, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. This is your stir fry sauce. Set aside.
- Heat your wok set or a large pan over medium high heat. Ad coconut oil. (Be careful not to get too hot because coconut oil has a low smoking point.) Once melted at garlic and ginger, stir for 10 second and add onion. Cook fro 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Add green pepper, red pepper and asparagus and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in chicken broth. Cover and cook for 4 minutes. Add spinach, quinoa and stir fry sauce. Toss well. Remove from heat.
Recipe NotesServings 8, Calories 275, Fat 11g, Carbohydrates 32.2g, Protein 24.2g, Cholesterol 49mg, Sodium 469mg, Fiber 3.3g, Sugars 3.1g, WW Pts 8