em>Disclosure: I received a enormously generous box of Udi’s Gluten Free products for this post. No other compensation was received and all opinions are my own.
Although sweets aren’t number one on my list of things I love, this time of year I like to indulge a little bit. One of my favorite things to do is wow the family with dishes that seem really indulgent, but are actually fairly healthy.
I was thrilled to get a big box of Udi’s goodies to enjoy as part of their #EATdrinkbemerry campaign.
At first I was going to do a wrap because…their wraps rock. And then I realized that I’d just done this recipe with Udi’s wraps and it was probably too soon to do another wrap. (Thought now that I think about it, can you really have too many wrap recipes?)
Anyways, my mind then went to the steel cut oats, and I immediately began dreaming of a healthy breakfast recipe that the boys would cheer for.
I needed chocolate of course.
Alex adores mint, so I knew I’d have to include that. And what better way to make it festive for this time of year than a garnish of some of the organic peppermint candies I just got?
If you love chocolate and mint, you are going to love this Chocolate Mint Quinoa Qat Breakfast.
- 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1/2 cup Udi’s Gluten Free Steel Cut Oats
- 2 1/4 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract or 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips make sure vegan/gf as appropriate
- Organic peppermint for garnish, optional
- Place quinoa and oats in a dry saucepan and cook for two to three minutes, stirring often. Add milk and cocoa powder and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in peppermint extract or peppermint essential oil and maple syrup. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Transfer to serving bowls and top with chocolate chips and peppermint. Serve warm.
This recipe is vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free.