I had heard a lot about the quinoa chocolate cake recipe in Quinoa 365, but up until now I had never given it a try. You all know that I am not that big on sweets to start with. On top of that, while I really like Quinoa 365, some of the recipes are just plain unhealthy. Take this one, which started out with 3/4 cup of butter and white sugar! Now, I realize that a little butter isn’t going to hurt. I mean, even Clean Eating magazine dedicated an entire article this month to why butter isn’t as bad as its cracked up to be. But still, when you get into the 3/4 cup of butter + white sugar you are sort of out of the “healthier” dessert range in my book.
My adaptation of this quinoa recipe was my first attempt to make it healthier, and I am happy to say that the results were absolutely delicious! My boys (and husband) absolutely loved this quinoa chocolate cake! I didn’t tell them it was quinoa, not flour, and no one even asked. And, they were gone within two days if that tells you anything.
I choose coconut palm sugar because it is low on the glycemic index. After reading about it on Natural News, it has quickly become my go to sugar alternative. It tastes so yummy its hard to believe that it isn’t every bit as bad for you as white sugar.
One thing I want to mention is that I did cook it in small individual dishes and while I think the batter would fill two baking pans, I didn’t test this out for myself. (The original recipe said that it would – it looked a little light on volume but that could have been all the little boy testing going on.) Oh, and whatever you do don’t let your unruly kids near the oven when you are checking for done-ness. They just might slam the door and cause your cake to fall. (The taste will still rock though.)
Next time, I will try skipping the butter and doing 1/2 walnut oil and 1/2 applesauce. I will also try cutting the sugar back just a bit an seeing if anyone notices.
My husband said they reminded him of Little Debbies. I’m still trying to figure out if it was a complement, but based on how many he ate I’m taking it as one.
Chocolate Quinoa Cake
- 2/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 inch round or square baking pans. Line with parchment.
- Combine milk, eggs, and vanilla in a blender or food processor. Add 2/3 cups of cooked quinoa, butter, applesauce and walnut oil. Process until smooth.
- Whisk together coconut palm sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add milk mixture and combine until well blended. Divide between pans and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. (Or, if cooking in individual serving size pans, cook for about 28 minutes) You know the cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely prior to serving.
- Frost if desired.