This Corn Fried Quinoa is a delicious vegan side dish that the whole family will love.
In the last couple of weeks, my husband frequently blurts (Loudly. No matter where we are.) “Waddle, Waddle” when walking behind me.
He thinks he’s been funny.
I, on the other hand, think he should consider sleeping with one eye open.
I’m never one for patience and now really isn’t a good time to be provoking me. Things could get dangerous.
(I’ve got a sharpie and I know how to use it. Do you think his funny face should be pink or lavender?)
Speaking of dangerous, have you guys read about the arsenic in rice issue which has some pediatricians or avoidance?
It may be old news for some, but in case you haven’t heard about it, much of the rice grown in the US is contaminated by arsenic.
Since reading this, I’ve reworked most of my baking recipes to avoid using rice flour. I’ve switched the boys to wild rice (which isn’t really “rice”) and we’ve pretty much stopped eating it all together.
I’ve always thought quinoa was a great substitute and these days we are using it as such all the time.
Today’s recipe is a riff off Fried Rice and a recipe that I absolutely love. As in…I ate the leftovers for breakfast so no one else would eat it first kind of love. Hope you guys enjoy.
Corn Fried Quinoa
Corn Fried Quinoa
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil or olive, divided
- 2 eggs beaten (optional)
- 4 scallions sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce or gluten free tamari
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- ½ cup frozen peas thawed
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Sriracha for serving
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large skillet. Add eggs and scramble. Remove from pan and chop up into small pieces.
- Add remaining teaspoon of oil to your skillet and heat to medium. Add scallions, garlic, sea salt and turmeric and stir for 30 seconds. Add vinegar, soy sauce, corn and peas. Increase heat to medium high and cook for 3 minutes. Add quinoa and cook, stirring often, for 3 to 5 more minutes. Return egg to the pan and cook until heated through. Serve warm.
If You Like This Corn Fried Quinoa You May Also Like: