There is nothing fun about sneezing, having red eyes, a runny nose or itchiness. Whether you are struggling with seasonal allergies or allergies to pets or mold, essential oils for allergies can be very helpful.
According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, some 17 million adults and 7 million children are impacted by hay fever every spring. This doesn't account for allergies at other times of the year. Given these statistics, the chances are that someone you know is struggling with allergies. Learning the best essential oils for allergies is a simple way to help you or your loved ones find much-needed relief.
My date would arrive at any minute, and I was a hot mess.
Itchy, watery eyes had destroyed my carefully applied makeup. My nose was red from blowing it.
I felt too bad to care.
I was sixteen, and shortly after that, my mom took me to the doctor.
The diagnosis was seasonal allergies, and I was placed on a daily prescription for allergies.
Although it did help relieve symptoms, it frightens me that I was so quick to take medication for something that had minimal risk associated with it. (You can read about the long term risk of taking allergy medicine here.)
For sure, allergies can make us miserable.
And there are probably those who experience symptoms severe enough to warrant medication.
But there are many of us that can consider more natural methods to combat allergies, such as essential oils for allergies.
I took that prescription for more than five years before I decided that I had had enough. These days, I keep my allergies in check with essential oils, moderate exercise, and supplements.
What are Seasonal Allergies?
Seasonal allergies occur due to a reaction triggered by the offending substance, which may be seen as a threat by your immune system, causing a release of histamine into your bloodstream, resulting in common allergy symptoms,” according to Marci Clow, M.S. R.D.N.
Allergies can be caused by the outdoor environment from things such as pollen, grass, and ragweed. They may also be caused by things inside. Common allergens include mold, mice droppings, dust mites and pet fur.
Allergies can disrupt your daily activities, making it hard to be productive. They can also interfere with sleep. Left unchecked, they may eventually lead to a sinus infection.
I am not a doctor or healthcare provider. These recipes are just what has worked for our family and many friends. It is also important to understand that this post is discussing managing seasonal and environmental allergies. This is different than an allergic reaction. If you have serious respiratory difficulties or vomiting make sure you consult a medical professional immediately.
What Essential Oils are Good for Allergies? The Best Essential Oils for Allergies!
- Palo santo
- Spruce Hemlock
- Sweet Orange
- Tea Tree
Allergies Diffuser Blend
Lavender, lemon, and peppermint are the go-to trio for helping boost the immune system and soothe allergies.
- 3 drops Lavender
- 3 drops Lemon
- 3 drops Peppermint
- Option 1: Mix and place in the palms of hands. Inhale deeply.
- Option 2: Place in a diffuser and diffuse.
Essential Oils for Allergies Diffuser Blend #2
- 8 drops thyme
- 4 drops cedarwood
- 4 drops palo santo
- Place in an essential oil diffuser and diffuse. You may also mix a drop of each oil in your hand and inhale deeply.
Essential Oils for Allergies Diffuser Blend #3
- 6 drops hemlock
- 1 drop pine
- 1 drop black spruce
- 3 drops orange
- Place oils in an essential oil diffuser and diffuse. You may also mix a drop of each oil in your hand and inhale deeply.
Essential Oil Allergy Blend for Misting
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 20 drops lemon essential oil
- 20 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 tablespoon witch hazel
- 3 ounces filtered water
- Place lavender, lemon, and peppermint in an oil-safe spray bottle.
- Add witch hazel and filtered water.
- Close the lid and shake to combine.
- Spray into the air to help ease allergy symptoms.
Best Essential Oils for Allergies Nasal Irrigation
Research has shown that nasal irrigation can help with congestion and post nasal drip. Make sure that you use distilled water or water that has been boiled and then cooled. Do not use tap water. Make sure you clean the net pot with distilled or boiled water after use.
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 8 ounces warm filtered water
- 1 Neti Pot
- Place lavender, lemon and peppermint essential oil in a neti pot.
- Add baking soda and sea salt.
- Pour in warm (but not hot) water and stir to combine.
- Use the following instructions on how to use a neti pot.
How to Use a Neti Pot:
- Fill the Neti Pot with the solution.
- Tilt your head sideways and pour the solution into the upper nostril.
- The liquid will flow into one nasal cavity and out the other.
Essential Oil Allergy Blend for Steam Inhalation
- 6 drops tea tree oil
- 2 drop rosemary
- 4 drops eucalyptus
- 4 drops cypress
- Mix oils in a 5ml bottle with office reducer.
- Bring water to a boil and carefully pour into a ceramic bowl.
- Add 1 drop of the blend to steaming (but not boiling) water.
- Close your eyes and lean over the bowl to breathe in the oil.
- It is helpful to place a towel over your head.
- Steam for 5 to 15 minutes.
Breathe Easy Inhaler
- 5 drops Cypress
- 5 drops Frankincense
- 5 drops Melaleuca
- 5 drops Lavender
- 1 aromatherapy inhaler
- Place essential oils in a small bowl.
- Pick up the white cotton element with tweezers and place in the oil.
- Allow to saturate.
- Place the cotton over the upside down inhaler tube and drop the cotton in. Put the “butt” on the bottom of the inhaler and push, so it is fully inserted and prevents the cotton from coming out.
- Use as needed, typically at least three times a day.
If You Like This Post You May Also Like:
- Need Sleep? Try This Sweet Dreams Linen Spray!
- Find Your Zen Inhaler Blend
- Essential Oils for Flu
- Essential Oil Diffuser Recipes
I love the sound of these blends, can't wait to try them for my allergies. I've been doing a lot of research on the topic and found a helpful list of allergy EOs. Your suggestions were at the top of my list already, so now it's time to clear up my sinuses!
My allergies are bad right now, I need to try some of these blends
I had no idea you could use essential oils to help treat allergies, but what a great idea, I am definitely going to have to try this myself as I could do with more natural ways to stop the sniffles of spring allergies.
I love oils!! I was searching everywhere for using oils for allergies, thank you so much for sharing!!
I am just now getting into oils and I am learning so much about their usage! Thank you for this info!!
Good thing I bumped into this article. My daughter has really bad allergies and it's been terrifying us for years. Definitely trying this now!
Allergy season is the worst for me 🙁 I have to try these essential oils for myself.
Wow these ae some great essential oil combinations. I enjoy a good steam inhalation when I'm feeling stuffy so going to try your recipe. Thank you!
i'm allergic to some products. it's a wonderful mix. i have to try it.
Mommy Rockin' In Style
We have been using essential oils for months now and we enjoy them so much! Our night is not complete without diffusing our favorite sleep blend! Thanks for sharing!
Carrie | Clean Eating Kitchen
I suffer from allergies, but never thought of using essential oils! Will give some of your recommendations a try!
I love using oils for my allergies. They are one of the few things that actually works.
Saving link for reference! Loved your essential oil blends. My husband has pollen allergies and I can see this will be helpful.
Oh I will have to check this out. So necessary right now.
I really love to use essential oils and it has a lot of benefits. I think I need to try some of this essential combo.
I love the scent of lavender. So good. Lemongrass is another of my favorites. I will keep this in mind during the spring. My allergies get pretty bad during the spring.
Elinor Hill aka Beach Hut Cook
These are all new to me. I didn’t connect aromatherapy as a solution to allergies. So many great aromatherapy recipes to try. Perfect.
I love essential oils -and I have severe allergies. However, those allergies also extend to lavender and peppermint. Ugh. I tell everyone I know about lavender - I just can't personally use it.
I had no idea that essential oils could help with allergies. This is some really great information!
Krystel | Disney on a Budget
I like these scents are right up my alley. I might just try this
This is so helpful! My daughter suffers with allergies in the fall, so I’m taking note now.
Two years ago I suffered from bad allergies. Last year, not so much. Hopefully, this year my allergies would be totally gone.
Allergy season is ahead. We need to stock up on essential oils to survive! Like the idea of using Diffuser for relief!