Learn how to use Essential Oils for anxiety and depression. Learn how to use oils safely and effectively and find the best essential oils for depression for you.
I am a happy person for the most part, but I have struggled with mild depression through the years. One of the best things I’ve ever done for myself is learning how to be proactive in dealing with it so that a bad week doesn’t turn into something more.
Luckily there are many things that we can do to deal with depression naturally. Essential oils for anxiety and depression have become an important part of my life.
Why Essential Oils for Depression?
More than any other sense, your sense of smell can bring up memories, ease tension and change your mood. This is thanks to the connection between our olfactory system and the limbic system in the brain. Since the limbic system holds our instinctive behaviors, drives, and automatic responses, aromatic uses of essential oils is a very effective way to manage moods.
Simply put, essential oils can offer a non-addictive alternative for those suffering from mild depression.
(Always seek professional help if you suspect that you might be suffering from something more serious.)
What is the Best Essential Oil for Depression?
Depression and anxiety can manifest itself in many different ways, and each oil works in a slightly different way. What works for one person may not work at all for the next. Likewise, your needs may change day to day. The important thing is to experiment and find what works for you.
At the root of it, depression is a symptom of imbalance and essential oils can subtly influence the mind to allow you to do the work for balance to be restored.
It is important that you are clear: essential oils do not cure depression. They do not take away the need for you to do the emotional work that is necessary for healing. What they do have the ability to do is help restore a sense of balance and offer support while you are working through the process of emotional healing. Always see professional advice if you feel like what you are going through warrants it.
Let’s look at some amazing essential oils for depression!
The Quality of The Essential Oils You Use Matters!
I’ve tried most every essential oil company out there, and I am thrilled to recommend Plant Therapy as my preferred company!
After looking closely at the quality, purity, and ethics of so many companies, I’ve fallen in love with both the company and their oils. They are serious about safety and go to great lengths to test every single batch to ensure purity!
Read my full Plant Therapy Review for why they are my go-to company.
Essential Oils for Depression
One thing that is important to remember is that the best essential oils for depression will vary by individual. The essential oil for depression that works for one person may be completely ineffective in another. For best results, experiment and discover what works best for you.
– Bergamot is widely believed to be one of the best oils for depression. Not only does it help with sleep and reduce anxiety, it can also help with low self-esteem and despair. In general, people report that when using Bergamot essential oil they feel more optimistic and hopeful.
– Is there anything that lavender can’t help with? Lavender is effective for depression because it can help you to release tension and constriction. It has a relaxing effect which can help to quiet the mind and allow you to connect with your innermost desires.
– Patchouli essential oil can support you in becoming more present in the moment. Perhaps this is because it is believed to help oxygen cross the brain barrier. I find that when I use it in conjunction with yoga, I feel more connected and grounded. It is great at helping to calm anxiety and nervous tension and can also help with anger management. Patchouli can help to reduce mental fatigue, as well as help with memory problems associated with aging.
– When you are feeling discouraged and depressed, peppermint essential oil is one of the best oils to help you re-discover the joy in life. It can be both invigorating and calming and works to reduce mental stress and induce a state of relaxation and regeneration.
– Roman Chamomile is very useful in distressed situations because it can help to calm the overactive mind. It works as a muscle relaxant and can help with sleep. It is especially effective when you are feeling discouraged and unsettled.
– Vetiver is a grounding oil and is especially effective when you are feeling torn in a million different directions. It can assist in uncovering the root of your issues. Vetiver oxygenates the brain, increases production of red and white blood cells, and can help when you are trying to bring focus into your life. It stabilizes both mental and physical energy, promotes calm, restores harmony and balance, creates clarity, helps with focus and attention
– If you have bottled up emotions such as anger and sadness, Ylang Ylang can help you to release them. It helps you recognize enjoyable experiences, improves confidence, helps promote harmony, stimulates enthusiasm, reduces aggression, sooth frustration, and anger, creates a sense of peace.
Essential Oils for Anxiety and Depression
Oils Best for Restlessness, Irritability, and Sleeplessness
- Roman Chamomile
- Clary Sage
- Neroli (Neroli is one of the best essential oils for anxiety)
- Ylang Ylang
Essential Oils To Lift the Mood
Essential Oil Recipes for Depression
Ylang Ylang Bath Oil
- 4 drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- 1 tablespoon carrier oil
- Mix the Ylang Ylang and carrier oil in a small dish.
- Draw a warm bath and add to the running water.
- Soak for at least 20 minutes. Repeat daily, as needed.
Other Natural Remedies for Depression
In addition to using essential oils for depression, there are some other important things that you can do.
One of the simplest ways is getting in the habit of practicing gratitude. “Gratitude is the most changeable character strength because it’s about mindfulness – something anyone can do,” according to Giacomo Bono, Ph.D., and Psychology professor at California State University. Although it is true that genetics account for at least half of our happiness, the other half is under our control. Appreciating what you have lowers your stress level and can increase happiness.
Try adding mediation to your routine.
According to research published in the Lancet, mindfulness, along with cognitive therapy may work just as well ad medication. In the study, half of the depressed subjects continued with antidepressants, while the other half swapped medication for a mixture of cognitive-behavioral therapy and mindfulness medication. After 8 weeks, both groups showed comparable rates of depression recurrence.
Not only are probiotics good for your gut, they can help your mind as well. This is likely due to the connection between the central nervous system and the gut. An Australian data review found that probiotic supplements can help reduce symptoms of depression. According to Natalie Colson, a nutritional geneticist at Griffith University in Australia, “A daily probiotic can help otherwise healthy people manage the stressful situations of everyday life.)
Exercise is another great way to help elevate your spirits. I know – when you are feeling low it is often the last thing that you want to do. But trust me, even something as simple as going for a walk outside can have a tremendous positive impact on your mood.
Sleep & Depression
The amount and quality of your sleep has a profound impact on every system of your body. Depression is one possible result in prolonged sleep deprivation. Consider using essential oils for sleep if you feel that a lack of sleep is contributing to your depression and anxiety.
Beyond the Best Essential Oils for Depression: Supplements for Depression
- Fish Oil
- Flaxseed Oil
- SAMe – 200-600mg twice a day on an empty stomach
- St Johns Wort – 300-600mg three times a day
- 5HTP – 300mg three times day
- L Theanine 100mg – 600 mg day
- L-Tyrosine (1000mg) for energy
If You Like Essential Oils for Depression You May Also Like:
- Essential Oils for Arthritis
- Essential Oils for Sleep
- Essential Oils for Flu
- Deep Sleep Roller Bottle Blend
If you use any of these essential oils for anxiety and depression let me know what works best for you!