Although I read everything on the internet I could find, one thing that I didn’t understand was safety.
I thought that since my friends who “knew more than I did” about oils said that it was OK to use essential oils undiluted on my kids it must be true.
I had a big wake-up call when I tried to use a digestive blend on Skye. I diluted it properly (though I had been told that wasn’t necessary) and she still ended up with a red, angry burn on her stomach.
It was all I could do to keep my husband from pitching all of our oils out the window.
Turns out that the blend contained oils, like peppermint, that should never, ever, be used on children under five. (And not only had I used it on Skye I had also suggested it to others. Gulp.)
There were other issues with many of the things I had been told were safe too. Eucalyptus has been linked breathing problems in children under ten. The immune boosting blend I was constantly diffusing contains oils that can be neurotoxic to kids.
It kind of made sense the more I thought about it. A drop of essential oils is equivalent to up to 40 cups of a medicinal tea. I certainly wouldn’t be having my kids pound back that quantity of tea.
It was only when I took the time to enroll in aromatherapy school to educate myself that I realized that so much of the advise I had been using – and giving – was incorrect.
The good news is that essential oils ARE safe to use with kids, just so you use the RIGHT OILS in the RIGHT DILUTION.
I know what some of you are thinking – who has time to research all this stuff and wade through fact versus fiction when it comes to safety?
Before you throw out the idea of using essential oils for kids, I’d like to introduce you to an amazing new line from a brand I trust.
Rocky Mountain Oils recently released a kids line, and I have to tell you that I’m blown away!
• Ingredients: Lemon, Cedarwood Atlas, Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Frankincense, Black Pepper
• Calm a pesky cough. This synergy was created to support the healthy function of the respiratory system. When applying, choose between the back, chest or the bottom of the feet.
• Ingredients: Frankincense, Lemon, Lavender, Ravintsara, Marjoram
• This synergy was designed to support the healthy function of the immune system. Apply to the bottom of the feet as needed.
• Ingredients: Frankincense, Helichrysum Italicum, Cucumber, Patchouli, Lavender
• This kid safe synergy was created to encourage the healthy support of the integumentary system. Apply a swipe of this pre-diluted blend to rough, irritated skin.
• Ingredients: Foraha, Heli. Italicum, Lavender, Mandarin, Geranium
• Bumps, scrapes, and bruises occur, First Aid blend was created to take the “owie” out of these moments. Apply to targeted area with this pre-diluted roll-on bottle.
• Ingredients: Citronella, Cedarwood Atlas, Lavender, Lemongrass, Thyme
• Keep those pesky bugs from biting those sweet children. Apply this blend to the common places bugs like to bite. Swipe this synergy to the back of the neck, pulse points and around the ankles.
• Ingredients: Sandalwood, Patchouli, Lavender, Ylang Ylang
• For a restful night sleep. Create a calming and relaxing environment during the wind-down time before bed. Apply to the bottom of the feet or back. Massage into these areas for additional relaxation.
• Ingredients: Black Pepper, Fennel, Dill, Ginger Root, Mandarin
• When complaints of stomach distress show up, reach for Tummy Ache. Apply a few swipes of the roll-on bottle to the stomach. Then massage in a clockwise direction into the abdominal area.
• Ingredients: Frankincense, Black Pepper, Marjoram, Lavender, Tangerine
• From growing pains to strenuous muscle overuse, this blend can support the muscular system from the occasional aches and pains. Apply a few swipes of this synergy to the targeted area and massage into the targeted area as needed.
• Ingredients: Basil, Orange, Mandarin, Lemon
• For when the occasional headache occurs. Apply a few swipes of this prediluted blend behind the ears or on the back of the neck.
• Ingredients: Frankincense, Lavender, Vetiver, Cedarwood
• Attention Assist was specially formulated with the intent to help quiet the mind. Let this synergy of oils help your child focus on the task at hand. Perfect to use while studying. When applying, choose between the back of the neck, wrist pulse points or the bottom of the feet.
Until September 12th, 2016, these oils are on sale Buy 3, Get 1 Free!
This post contains affiliate links. I personally own and have tried all of these oils with my children.