We had a quinoa Greek salad for lunch today. And, I must say, I’m really proud of myself.
Why am I proud of myself for making quinoa salad?
Lately, you might have noticed that a lot of people have been leaving comments about their success on diet programs (like the 17 day diet) or that they are just starting a new diet program. Now, I just love to hear about diets that work, but I have to admit that it has made me feel a little build guilty lately. You see, I’ve been in a bit of a rut myself.
I’m like the mechanic with a broken down car. Or the maid with a messy house.
I haven’t been doing a good job AT ALL with my healthy cooking. Yes, I’ve made some quinoa recipes, but many of them haven’t been as healthy as they could be. I’m not sure why I have gotten off track, but I am finding myself making my yummy but not-so healthy macaroni and cheese recipe way too often. And, I have to admit that we’ve ordered pizza way more often than we should. I’ve put on some weight and I feel like I need an intervention. :):
So, I decided that I would get back on track today may making a simple quinoa salad recipe for lunch. I got the idea for this thumbing through a magazine that had an advertisement for Kitchen Basics broth. The recipe was for a pasta salad, but I knew it would make a great quinoa Greek salad with a few adjustments. This would be a great easy quinoa recipe if you were to start with quinoa that was already cooked.
Greek Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup of quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- 1/2 to mato seeded and chopped
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1/2 cup olives I used a green/black mix
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped fine
- 2 ounces low fat feta
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Place vegetable broth and quinoa in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil. Boil uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain in a fine metal colander.
- Rinse pot and bring two inches of water to a boil. Place quinoa in the metal colander over the water. Cover and steam for 10 minutes.
- While quinoa is steaming, combine chopped spinach, tomato and lemon zest in a small boil.
- When quinoa is cooked, drain the water. Rinse the pot and return the quinoa to it. Add the spinach mixture and cover. Allow to sit covered for 5 minutes or until spinach wilts.
- Add parsley and feta.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 T olive oil, 1 T balsamic vinegar and garlic. Toss with salad. (Or, as an alternative toss quinoa salad with my balsamic vinaigrette )