These gluten free & vegan Grilled Veggie & Quinoa Tacos with Cilantro Pesto are packed with nutrition and so delicious. Perfect for Taco Tuesday!
I don’t know about you, but I always start to feel motivated around this time of year. The weather is near perfect, produce is starting to come in and the garden is getting green. For me, it renews all of the motivation from January that I’ve lost.
I am really excited that next Monday, on what happens to be Skye’s 2nd birthday, I’m starting on a 90 day journey to finally get fit. I’ll be playing in a Fitness Challenge with the support of four other team members.
For the most part, I’ve got the healthy eating thing down. I’m no where near perfect. I like to eat out and often don’t make good choices when I do. (But I do stay away from chains of any type and choose places where the food quality is higher.) But at home I usually eat really well.
It’s the exercise piece of the puzzle has baby weight hanging on two years later. (As in sitting in front of a computer all day.) I’ve lost 50 pounds. Gained 10. Lost it again. And can never seem to get to the end of it.
The truth is that I feel guilty when I take the time to work out. I never feel like I have time because there is always an email to respond to or something I could be doing for or with the kids.
I’m hoping that by participating in a game where me not working out will hurt the team will help tremendously, because I’m all about not letting people down. It’s exciting to think about. Have I finally found the solution to sticking to exercise?
I’d love to hear about what works for you and how you have (or why you haven’t yet) made exercise a regular part of your routine.
Grilled Veggie & Quinoa Tacos with Cilantro Pesto
- Grilled Vegetables
- 2 small zucchini sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 small yellow squash sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno minced
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- Avocado Cilantro Pesto
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- For the Tacos
- 12 organic corn tortillas 6 inch (or organic taco shells)
- Cilantro pesto
- ½ cup cheddar cheese or Daiya
- Heat a grill or griddler (indoor grill) to medium high.
- In a bowl combine zucchini and squash. In a medium bowl combine olive oil, garlic and jalapeno. Toss with zucchini and squash and salt and pepper to taste. Grill until vegetables become tender, about three minutes per side.
- While veggies are grilling, add quinoa and taco seasoning to the same bowl that you tossed the veggies in. (There will likely be some residual jalapeno.)
- When veggies are done allow to cool slightly and chop. Toss with quinoa and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- To make pesto, combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- To assemble the tacos, warm the tortillas by cooking on a skillet or grill for a minute or two per side or heat taco shells in the oven. Add vegetable mixture and drizzle with pesto. Add cheese if using and serve. Optional: You can top with sour cream or salsa if desired.