If you are looking for natural solutions for hormonal health, you will want to learn about how to use essential oils for hormonal balance and adrenal fatigue.
When is the last time you truly relaxed? The fight or flight environment of today's world is key threat to adrenal health. Our bodies sense stress and don’t know the difference between whether we are running for our lives or running to make an appointment on time. Either way, cortisol is produced.
To promote a strong immune system, good sleep and healthy digestion, we want to make sure our cortisol levels are healthy. Avoiding caffeine can help with this as caffeine can interfere with quality sleep.
The key is to support your adrenal glands to STAY HEALTHY so you aren't dealing with high cortisol levels. When you give your body what it needs it is able to deal with common stress.
Essential Oils for Hormone Balance
Get your elimination systems working. You should eliminate a minimum of once a day, ideally three times a day. Add lemon juice and/or lemon oil to your water in the morning. This will get your digestive system going and keep you alkaline. Make sure you are hydrated! (You should cleanse two to four times a year and consider colon hydrotherapy.) Oils to Consider for Occasional Constipation are Tummy Aid, Black Pepper, Fennel, and Peppermint.
Follow a Hormone Balancing Essential Oil Protocol Morning and Night.
- Put 2 to 3 drops of Frankincense diluted on the neck in the morning and in the evening. This helps with healthy inflammation response, balanced moods and will work to balance the endocrine system.
- Use Geranium topically over the kidneys. (Don't forget to dilute!)
- Women: Also consider Melissa, Sandalwood, Balance Blend, Cypress, Geranium and Clary Sage.
- Men: Clary Sage, Sandalwood, Cypress
The Quality of The Essential Oils You Use Matters!
After looking closely at the quality, purity, and ethics of so many companies, I've fallen in love with both the company and their oils. They have a large line of organic oils and are serious about safety. Every single batch is tested to ensure purity!
Read my full Plant Therapy Review for why they are my go-to company.
Essential Oils to Support Health & Wellness:
Mild Acne: Bergamot, Clary Sage, Clove, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Geranium, Roman Chamomile, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Marjoram, Melaleuca, Patchouli, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Spearmint, Thyme, Vetiver.
Adrenal Health: Lavender, Rosemary, Clove, Basil, and Peppermint. Lavender and Rosemary decrease cortisol levels when inhaled.
Occasional Swelling (such as you would get if you had been on your feet too long): Cypress(alleviates fluids), fennel (breaks up fluids), geranium, grapefruit, lemongrass, rosemary, tangerine (alleviates fluids). Drink water every 3 hours minimum.
Endocrine system Health: Rosemary, Cinnamon, Black pepper, Dill
Reproductive Health: Clary Sage, Frankincense, Cypress, Geranium, Melissa, Fennel, Roman Chamomile, Thyme, Ylang Ylang
Occasional Fatigue: Ginger, Peppermint, and White Fir.
- To combat fatigue try diffusing ginger, peppermint or white fir. You can also apply ginger topically to the liver and adrenal glands.
- Rub 3 drops of Grapefruit on the feet in the morning
- Have the following Spine Therapy done once a week.
Apply fractionated coconut oil along the spine.
Layer the following in this order one at a time: Oregano, Thyme, Sweet Orange, Frankincense, Rosemary, and Peppermint. After you are done massaging, place a hot compress along the spine for 15 minutes.
Hormone Balance: Peppermint, Geranium, citrus oils, and Clary Sage. Peppermint is an excellent way to cool down and may be effective on the feet at night, the back of the neck, on the chest, or some prefer a spray bottle with Peppermint and water for easy application.
Male Hormone Balance: Clary Sage, Clove, Ginger, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang
Healthy Libido: Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang, Ginger, Peppermint, Clary Sage
Maintain Healthy Blood Sugar Levels: Cinnamon, Clove, Thyme
Menopause: Lavender, and Geranium massaged over the abdomen and arms once a week for eight weeks. Some women report to have experienced a significant reduction in menopausal symptoms including depression and pain.
Headaches: Peppermint, Frankincense . (Read this article on Essential Oils for Headaches)
Balanced Moods: Bergamot, Clary sage, fennel, geranium, lavender, lemon, peppermint, rosemary, sandalwood, blue spruce, ylang ylang
Healthy Ovaries: Geranium and/or rosemary (regulates).
Healthy Pituitary: Frankincense, sandalwood
Support Hormones During PMS: Bergamot, Clary Sage, Fennel, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lavender, Roman chamomile
Balance Progesterone : Geranium, Frankincense, Lavender, ginger, marjoram, oregano, thyme, Ylany Ylang. Place 3 drops each of Marjoram and Thyme oil diluted with coconut oil over the liver at night as well.
Prostate Health: Helichrysum
Healthy Testosterone Levels: Sandalwood, Cypress, Clary Sage, Geranium, Rosemary. Add 1-2 drops of Sandalwood to 1 Tablespoon of fractionated coconut oil and apply topically to testicles and bottoms of feet.
Same procedure can be used with Clary Sage or other oils above. Also consider diffusing these oils or using other inhalation techniques.
Thyroid Support: Myrhh, Clove, Lemongrass
Other Natural Remedies for Hormone Balance
- Bathe in Epsom salts. The magnesium enhances sleep, and good sleep is critical to regulating hormones.
- Keep your blood sugar in check by eating three balanced meals a day. Try to eat every three to four hours and include protein in your meals and snacks. Avoid white carbs and overly processed food. This is key for endocrine and adrenal function.
- Keep your diet focused on foods that support your hormonal system.
- Stick to real food! Your diet should be most, if not all, whole foods in their natural state. Make vegetables a key component of your diet, but don't forget to eat protein at every meal. Stay away from: processed food, sugar, white flour, caffeine, soda, fried foods, fast food and any item that has ingredients that a 2nd grader couldn’t pronounce.
- Add sprouted nuts and seeds to your diet. Women may want to consider rotating seeds throughout the month.
- Chia seeds are an excellent source of Omega’s and provide fiber.
- Organic Pastured Egg Yolks are one of the best foods for repairing your adrenals.
- Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil is an excellent source of fat that can help to stabilize your blood sugar levels.
- First thing in the morning add ½ teaspoon of Himalayan salt to a glass of filtered water. Have another glass during the day if your energy levels are low.
- Start your day with the sun! Ideally, get some rays within an hour of waking up. (Not always possible for those who are up early.)
- Try to get probiotics in your diet. Try adding cultured vegetables and kombucha. Consider supplementing with a Probiotic.
- Consider adding sea vegetables to your diet. Examples are nori, wake, comb and hijiki.
- Buy the best quality food you can. Eat grass fed organic beef, free-range organic chicken, and organic pastured eggs. Stick to wild salmon and avoid farmed fish.
Leanne | The Transplanted Southerner
Wendy, this is a very informative article. Timely as well as I have a series on my own battle with high cortisol running this week on my blog. It can be very hard to treat, especially if you don't have "Cushing levels" and get turned away by doctors. I did finally find one and am using minerals, thyroid medicine (because it affected my thyroid eventually), and essential oils to turn it around. I've been better now for almost a year. It's hard to believe because a years ago at this time I was actually resigned to the fact that I might die.
Articles like this spread hope and arm those flowing behind us with more information. Thank you for writing this.
What do you do with the adrenal health oils? Do you take the ones that are ingestible in a capsule? feet? Over the adrenals? Thanks!!