When you are looking for a simple meal that is sure to satisfy, don’t miss this Italian Quinoa. It is an easy one-dish meal that is made with just six ingredients. This simple dinner is one I turn to again and again.
Italian Quinoa is perfect for those times when you want great flavor but not something that requires a lot of attention.
I frequently cook up a large batch of quinoa on the weekend for meal prep. Italian Quinoa is one of my favorite ways to turn it into a meal without a lot of hands-on time!
It does take some time to roast the tomatoes to make the tomato sauce. Luckily that is all hands-off time.
The hands-on time for this recipe is just about 15 minutes, making it perfect for weeknight meals.
Ingredients for Making Italian Style Quinoa
- Whole Peeled Tomatoes: I used canned tomatoes, but you could use seeded fresh tomatoes if they are in season. If you use canned tomatoes, I am a big fan of San Marzano-style tomatoes.
- Garlic: Adjust the amount to your preference.
- Oil: Use regular (not extra-virgin) olive oil or another heat-safe oil such as avocado oil.
- Sausage: Italian sausage is nice here, but use whatever type of sausage you like.
- Quinoa: Use this method for how to cook quinoa on the stovetop. If you prefer, you can cook your quinoa in rice cooker or Instant Pot.
- Baby Spinach: Frozen spinach that is thawed and drained may be used.
Vegetarian Italian Quinoa
Naturally gluten-free, this recipe can be made vegetarian and vegan with the use of vegan sausage. Tempeh sausage is a good option, or if you aren’t gluten intolerant, field roast works as well.
This recipe works well on its own with a loaf of crusty bread. If you would like a side dish, I would recommend and simple green salad with Italian dressing.
Tools Needed to Make Vegan Italian Quinoa
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Rimmed Baking Sheet
- Large Saucepan
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days. You can reheat to serve or toss with Italian dressing and add fresh mozzarella to make an Italian Quinoa Salad.
How to Make Italian Quinoa
First, start by preheating your oven.
Line a wide-rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
Break up the tomatoes and then mix in the garlic and olive oil.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place in the preheated oven and cook for about 45 minutes.
While the vegetables are cooking, cook the sausage according to package directions.
Place the roasted tomato mixture in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce the heat and add the sausage, quinoa, and spinach.
Cook until the quinoa is heated through.
Tops with cheese and garnish with fresh basil.
You May Also Like
- Italian Quinoa Casserole is packed with cheesy goodness. The fresh tomato topping keeps things bright and fresh.
- Looking for a delicious salad that is flavorful and fresh? This Italian Chopped Salad is just what you need.
- Italian Burgers are a fun way to mix up burger night. The perfect way to get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, break up tomatoes with your hands. Mix in garlic and olive oil. (You will include the juices from the tomatoes) Salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for 40 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage according to package directions. Slice thin or crumble.
- Place the tomato mixture in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat, and add the sausage, quinoa, and spinach. Cook until the spinach wilts.
- Top with cheese if desired.