This post is brought to you by Beyond Meat. All opinions are my own.
Think vegetarian tacos mean sacrificing on taste? Think again! These “Meaty” Quinoa Tacos are so delicious that even your biggest meat eaters will love them. Although I am not strictly vegetarian or vegan any longer, I still like to eat that way as much as I can. So when I was given the opportunity to create a recipe with a meat alternative that I’ve been hearing great things about (BeyondMeat), I thought it was a great opportunity. I also I knew a lot of my vegetarian and vegan readers might enjoy it.
The folks at BeyondMeat are committed to finding a better way to feed the planted through plant protein. They are passionate about respecting animal welfare, conserving natural resources and positively impacting climate change, all while improving human health.
If you have ever looked and meat substitutes you know that most of them are loaded with gluten, which while yummy, is completely off limits for me these days. They also usually have soy, which is another thing I can’t have.
Those of you who are also on restricted diets will be happy to know that BeyondMeat is both Soy and Gluten Free. SCORE!
Let’s take a look at BeyondMeat Beef Crumbles!
- Soy Free – Made with 100% Non-GMO pea protein, Gluten Free, and Kosher
- 10g of Protein – Same as ground beef!
- No Cholesterol, Saturated or Trans Fat!
- Comes in two flavors:
- Beefy – A hint of garlic and citrus makes this perfect for pasta sauces, pizzas and more!
- Feisty – A zesty blend of beef crumbles perfect for tacos or chili!
- Found in the frozen section of all stores for
$5.49 / 11 oz bag!
I have to tell you that these completely blew me away. I knew that I would probably like them as I tend to like meat substitutes more than meat, but the rest of the families reaction surprised me. I made these Meaty Quinoa Tacos while visiting with my parents, and both of them thought they were fantastic. This is shocking because in the years that I was vegan and vegetarian I never once got them to be happy about eating a meat substitute. My dad, especially, would rather just not eat and he thought these tacos were “delicious” and that the texture was just right.
Quinoa Taco Meat
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 package Beyond Meat crumbles
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 8 organic taco shells
- For serving: lettuce tomatoes, avocado or guacamole, sour cream or Greek yogurt (dairy or non-dairy)
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, chipotle chili powder and salt and cook for one minute longer. Add tomato paste and stir for 1 minute. Add beyond meat crumbles and quinoa and cook for two minutes. Add in broth and apple cider vinegar. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the liquid has partially cooked off.
- Heat taco shells according to package directions and serve with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado or guacamole and sour cream or Greek yogurt