This Roasted Pumpkin Quinoa Salad makes a great main course salad or hearty side dish. Gluten-Free and easily made vegan!
I’ve talked a lot lately about how the older I get the simplest things in life can mean so much. I had one of these moments yesterday.
My oldest son has always been super snuggly. I always assumed (and still do) that at some point he would grow out of it and I would be longing for those times were it was hard to get my days going because he wanted his Mommy time.
Since Skye was born, she has obviously been taking a lot of my attention. I really hadn’t noticed, but Alex’s snuggles with me have been replaced by Skye-in-the-Middle time.
Alex adores Skye. As is obsessively, runs to every cry, can’t get enough of her. We joke that he has imprinted a-la-Twilight, minus the creepy part.
That is why I was surprised when he informed me yesterday morning that he wasn’t getting enough snuggle time. I assumed he meant what we had been doing, and put Skye in between us and my arms around them both. Nope. He pouted, and didn’t say anything until I asked what was wrong. He informed me that he needed ME. With a smile on my face, I quickly shifted Skye to the other side and held my almost nine year old for almost an hour while the rest of the house was still asleep. Eventually Skye fell back asleep too.
He won’t be little much longer, but I am so grateful for right now.
It was a very beautiful morning and one I won’t soon forget.
Speaking of beauty, I have an amazing pumpkin salad for you today from Gluten Free Gus. Perfect for Thanksgiving or any day!
Roasted Pumpkin Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa red, if you can find it
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt optional
- 6 oz. kale lower stems removed, finely chopped (a combination of Lacinato and Redbor if available)
- 2-3 medium carrots chopped fine
- 1 large stalk celery chopped fine
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup parsley or firmly packed chopped fresh carrot greens
- 1/4 cup firmly packed chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup firmly packed chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts raw are fine if you don’t want to take the time
- 2/3 cup dried currants or cranberries
- 2 cups cubed oven roasted pumpkin or Golden Acorn Squash
- 1 cup finely diced roasted chicken meat optional
- DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup Butternut Squash Seed Oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove or fresh minced garlic or roasted garlic (optional – a roasted clove will be almost a paste.)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water. Boil 2 cups of salted water, add the quinoa, return to a boil and cook on low for 20 minutes. Set aside uncovered to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Chiffonade , or chop the kale finely; place in a large serving bowl.
- Add the carrots, scallions, celery, fresh herbs, walnuts, dried cranberries, and chicken if using.
- Measure the lemon juice and olive oil into a 1 cup glass measuring cup. Add the garlic, zest, salt, and pepper. Whisk to blend and pour over the ingredients.
- Add the roasted pumpkin cubes. Toss to distribute and coat evenly. Cover and Chill or Serve immediately at room temperature.
Connect with Gluten Free Gus: