Now that summer is in full swing and it is too hot to think about heavy food, I am living on fruits and vegetables. Every week we get a huge produce delivery filled with locally grown organic yumminess and I start dreaming up what different combinations I can come up.
Last week we had fresh salad greens and plump blueberries and I knew they were going to be my next muse. This salad is made extra special by a little something different – Maple Nut Quinoa Clusters!
These little beauties add just the right crunch to any salad and you just may find yourself snacking on them too.
Since I know that someone is going to ask, that is a blueberry dressing in the photo but I didn’t love it because there was just too much sweet going on. I ended up using my favorite balsamic vinegar dressing instead.
Mixed Green Salad with Blueberries and Maple Nut Quinoa Clusters
- ¼ cup quinoa rinsed
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 ounces goat cheese OR vegan goat cheese
- Balsamic Vinegar Dressing use this low fat one OR this one OR you can use bottled
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add quinoa and walnuts and toast for 6 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sea salt and stir in maple syrup. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl combine greens, blue berries and goat cheese. Toss with dressing and top with maple-nut quinoa clusters.
Recipe NotesServings 6, Calories 231, Fat 11.7g, Carbohydrates 23g, Protein 11.9g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 182mg, Fiber 5.8g, Sugars 6.8g