It is unbelievably hard to comprehend that my baby girl is going to be one soon.
I’ve bought the forward facing carseat. I know what birthday cake I’m making her. And I’ve even started to look at toddler activities on Pinterest.
But I still can’t believe how fast this year has gone.
I’ve talked about how when the boys were tiny it seemed that time stood still. The sheer monotony of my daily existence was overwhelming back then. Mostly because there were two of them and just one of me.
It’s not that I am not exhausted this time around. I think I’m more exhausted – partly due to age, partly due to working without a lot of help, and partly due to not taking care of myself the way I should.
But that fatigue hasn’t stopped my sheer enjoyment of daily life with her.
She’s changing so fast right now.
As I write this she’s sitting on the tile floor near me throwing a ball and then crawling over to catch it. Every few minutes I hear squeals of laughter. Baby play is just so fun to watch. I’d give anything to know what was going on in that little brain.
We’ve just started working on Signing Time with her as we did with the boys. A week ago she shook her head no at any question you asked her. It was really cute but also frustrating for us both when what she really meant was yes. Somehow in the last week she’s grasp onto the concept and while she still doesn’t say yes, at least she’s stopped shaking her heat no when she wants something.
By the time you read this, I’ll be on the road but I’ve got an amazing recipe from Becky at Becky’s Best Bites for you to enjoy!
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Toss
- 1 large sweet yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 lb. ground chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken breasts - see note
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cans 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained (or fresh tomatoes, chopped)
- ¼ cup zesty italian dressing See note
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. fresh spicy oregano
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese -see note
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Chicken Spray the bowl of a slow cooker with misted olive oil (or non-stick cooking spray) or place of slow cooker liner inside of it.
- Add onion, garlic to the bottom of the bowl.
- Add chicken, tomato paste, tomatoes, zesty italian dressing, chicken broth, spicy oregano and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Quinoa Prepare the quinoa by combining the water and quinoa in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Toss the cooked quinoa and parmesan cheese with the cooked chicken mixture.
Recipe NotesServings 4, Calories 435, Fat 10.7g, Carbohydrates 45.3g, Protein 41.9g, Cholesterol 81mg, Sodium 1003mg, Potassium 435mg, Fiber 7.4g, Sugars 11.8g **Wendy's Notes* For a vegan alternative, use diced tempeh and vegan parmesan. For those who prefer to make dressing rather than buy it, I use this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/zesty-italian-dressing-spice-mix-413362
I love to cook and have a knack for making recipes healthier without sacrificing the most important part, THE TASTE! I am also a health & fitness coach. I would love to help you reach your health & fitness goals! Learn more at: http://beckysbestbites.com/