Looking for a healthy dinner you can feel good about serving? Try this Vegan Quinoa Burger. With black beans and quinoa, this burger is protein packed.
I hope this finds you enjoying a wonderful weekend.
I had planned on a relaxing and uneventful weekend, but as it turns out my weekend started out with a bit of drama. My husband and youngest son were almost done running errands on Friday when the brakes in the car failed.
Have I mentioned that we are in the mountains right now?
Luckily no one was hurt but its been hard not to get a little worked up about what COULD have happened. Thank goodness they weren’t going down a mountain at 45 miles an hour when it happened.
Kinda makes the repair expenses seem insignificant doesn’t it?
Well, hopefully YOUR weekend has been eventful in only the best of ways. If you are looking for a great Vegan Quinoa Burger to enjoy, I’ve got a new favorite for you. Though I’m not sure it would hold up on the grill, I’ll have to say that the flavor of this one makes cooking indoors worth it.
I really love a veggie burger that works on a bun with all the fixings and this Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burger fits the bill. I enjoyed it on some homemade Gluten Free English Muffins and it was fantastic! We will be enjoying these again today with some healthy sweet potato fries (and a yummy garlic lime dipping sauce for the fries).
Have a great remainder of your weekend and be safe!
Tools for Making Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burgers:
Vegan Quinoa Burger
Vegan Quinoa Burger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed organic
- 4.5 tablespoons warm water
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal organic
- 1 yellow onion diced, or white
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced (more or less to taste)
- 2 teaspoons natural liquid smoke optional
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups black beans cooked or canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup bread crumbs gluten free
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- Coconut oil - or oil of choice - for cooking
- Make flax eggs by combining ground flax seed (or flax meal) with warm water and mixing well. Set aside.
- Combine flour and cornmeal in a small dish and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and spray with olive oil. Add onion, jalapeno, and red bell pepper. Cook for 10 -12 minutes, until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute more. Sprinkle with liquid smoke (if using), oregano, crushed red pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and salt and remove from heat.
- Place black beans and quinoa in a food processor and pulse a few times until the beans are mashed but not pureed. Alternatively, mash with a potato masher or large fork.
- Transfer to a bowl and combine with onion mixture, bread crumbs and parsley. Stir in flax egg.
- Form into 6 patties and dredge each patty in flour/cornmeal mixture to coat. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to allow to set. (Or the refrigerator for a couple of hours.)
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and coat with oil. Add patties and cook until brown, about 10 to 12 minutes per side.
Variations for Vegan Quinoa Burgers
- To Bake These Vegan Burgers: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with oil. Place the burgers on the pan and spry the tops. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until lightly brown.
- To Airfry: Preheat the Air Fryer to 360 degrees. Lightly spray both sides of the burger. Place in the AirFryer and cook for 20 minutes, flipping half way through.
Tips for Making Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
- To help these burgers stick together, make sure the ingredients are well mashed. You can do this with your hands or use a potato masher.
- These burgers may be individually wrapped and frozen for up to three months. Defrost in the refrigerator and reheat in a skillet with oil or in an air fryer.
If You Like This Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burger You May Also Like: