I don’t know about you, but I have enjoyed way too much heavy food over the last week.
Though I will continue to enjoy my fair share of treats this holiday season, I will also be incorporating as many light meals as I can into my meal plans. I’ve worked way to hard to get the baby weight off (with more to go…ugh!) and I can’t afford to backslide now. I have a habit of eating leftovers for breakfast, which isn’t a good thing when dinner has been of the holiday celebration sort. So, I’m working on some new quinoa breakfast recipes that I am hoping will help keep me on track.
In the meantime, I have a great smoothie recipe brought to us by Rowena, from Apron and Sneakers
Doesn’t this look incredible?
Strawberry Chamomile Quinoa Smoothie
- 1/2 cup chamomile tea
- 1 tablespoon dried chamomile flowers or 1 teabag + extra flowers for garnishing
- 1 cup almond milk or regular milk
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa You can replace this with old fashioned oats.
- honey if almond milk is unsweetened
- 1/2 cup strawberries fresh or frozen
- Steep chamomile flowers in hot water for about 5 minutes. Strain flowers if you don't want to include them in the smoothie. If you want to include them for a more intense flavor, just leave them. Remove teabag if using one. Refrigerate until it cools down.
- Put the almond milk, cold chamomile tea (with flowers), cooked quinoa & strawberries in a blender and blend until smooth. Sweeten with honey if needed.
- Garnish with dried chamomile flowers if desired.
Rowena is the author of Apron and Sneakers, a food and travel journal started when she moved to Italy 14 years ago. She shares healthy recipes (and some not so healthy ones!) created for family and travel photos and experience from Italy. In addition to her own website she also writes food and travel articles for other sites.