Some summers seem to drag on forever and some seem to be gone in a blink. Right now, the days can seem long (if you are a mom, you understand…), but on the whole it feels like time is passing so quickly.
This summer has been such a special one for me, filled with firsts. First smiles, first laughs, first “conversations”, first kisses! We’ve also been on the go a lot, traveling to Texas, Colorado and Arizona. Though my intention was to slow down, in some ways it feels that I’ve been so busy that time is just flying.
There are lots of things about summer I love, but one of my favorite things is all the amazing produce. I have really been making an effort to appreciate summer’s bounty before it is gone. Nothing quite like fresh homegrown basil and perfect tomatoes fresh from the vine. Oh, how I will mourn the loss of those tomatoes this winter.
This little quinoa bowl is a perfect way to appreciate summer’s finest.
Easily adaptable this has become my favorite way to enjoy whatever fresh produce I have on hand!
Summer Veggie Quinoa Bowl
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup garbanzo beans drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup fresh basil torn
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper’
- Olive oil spray
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped summer squash
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 ounce fresh Parmesan cheese shaved (optional)
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, garbanzo beans, cherry tomatoes, basil, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper.
- Spray a skillet well with olive oil and heat to medium high. Add zucchini and summer squash and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to the quinoa mixture along with the olive oil and toss well. Top with pine nuts and Parmesan cheese.
Recipe NotesServings 6, Calories 275, Fat 10.6g, Carbohydrates 35.4g, Protein 12g, Cholesterol 3mg, Sodium 370mg, Fiber 8.2g, Sugars 4.9g