I’ve always loved Mexican food and now that I’m a vegetarian that hasn’t changed a bit. Today, I’ve got a great vegetarian burrito recipe that is easy to make and comes together much quicker than you would expect. I actually made the filling ahead of time and then when I was ready to cook them it only took me about 5 minutes to put everything together and pop it in the oven. This was my first go at adding quinoa to a burrito, and I was happy with the results. When you think about it, people add rice to burritos all the time!
Since corn is in season, I used fresh but thawed frozen corn will work just as well. If you do decide to go with fresh corn all you need to do is bring a pot of water to boil. Add cleaned corn on the cob and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow it to cool slightly, then cut it off the cob. If you have any extra it is great added to a tossed green salad.
Now, if you are a vegan or lactose intolerant, don’t think this isn’t a great vegetarian burrito recipe for you too! You could use vegan cheese, but if you aren’t in love with the idea that’s ok too.
I’m gearing up to start the 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart (if anyone wants to do it with me shoot me an email, leave me a message on Facebook or the website) which is going to require pretty significant changes in the way that I eat. The idea behind it is that you can dramatically improve your health – and even reverse high blood pressure & cholesterol (Are you listening MOM?) – by sticking to a plant based diet and avoiding fat. I’m not quite ready to start yet, but a happy medium for this dish for me was skipping the cheese and topping it with diced avocados, salsa and jalapenos.
Veggie Quinoa Burrito
- 3/4 cup quinoa rinsed
- 4 tsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- zest of one lime
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 2 T fresh cilantro
- 6 whole wheat or gluten free tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups vegan or regular cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Diced jarred jalapenos optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine quinoa, lime juice, cayenne, cumin, garlic and 1 1/2 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook covered for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in black beans and allow to sit covered for 5 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add green onions, corn, lime zest, red peppers and cilantro to the quinoa mixture. Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill tortillas with quinoa mixture and place them seam side down in a baking dish. Top with cheese and cover with foil. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 minutes more.
- Top with salsa and diced jalapenos and enjoy!