about the recipe
Cast Iron Cornbread is the ultimate way to elevate your next family dinner. It is buttery, cheesy, and so moist. Give it a try, and it will become one of your most requested bread recipes!
– Preheat the oven to 400° F. – Generously grease a cast iron skillet with butter.
– In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and thyme.
– Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Add the buttermilk and butter and whisk well.
– Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
– Add the cheese and stir again.
– Transfer to the prepared skillet.
– Bake for 19 to 23 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. (Cover with foil towards the end if it starts to get brown.)
– Drizzle the top with additional melted butter if desired.