about the recipe
Indulge in the comforting nostalgia of Old Fashioned Baked Macaroni and Cheese. This crowd-pleasing classic combines tender elbow macaroni with a rich, creamy homemade cheese sauce for a deliciously creamy texture. It's an easy-to-follow recipe that brings back the simple joy of home cooking. Step-by-step photos and tips are included!
– 16 ounces elbow noodles – ¼ cup butter – ¼ cup all purpose flour – 3 ½ cups whole milk – 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt – 1 teaspoon mustard powder – ½ teaspoon black pepper – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper – 12 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese divided – 4 ounces cubed American cheese – 4 ounces grated Swiss cheese
– Melted butter with flour being added.
– While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until it starts to brown.
– Add about a half cup of the milk and whisk until incorporated. Add the remaining milk slowly, whisking to combine. Add the salt, mustard powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
– Cook, whisking often, until the mixture starts to thicken. Reduce the heat to low and add 8 ounces of the cheddar, American cheese, and Swiss cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
– Toss the cooked pasta with the cheese sauce. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
– Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray, and place the sprayed side down on top of the casserole dish.
– Bake for 30 minutes, and then remove the foil. Cook for another 15 minutes.
– Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.