Mexican Quinoa Salad
This Mexican Quinoa Salad has it all! Creamy avocado, black beans, corn, tomato, red onion and a kick from pickled jalapeño. Top it off with Chipotle Lime Vinaigrette and crunchy oven baked corn tortillas and you have got a healthy vegan quinoa salad recipe that feels like anything but a sacrifice.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 1 cup organic frozen corn thawed
- 1 tomato seeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeño diced
- 4 organic corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 - 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce The dish will be HOT if you use 1
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 avocado diced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, black beans, corn, tomato, red onion and pickled jalapeño.
Slice corn tortillas into thin strips.
Spray a baking sheet with olive oil and add tortilla strips.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
Bake for 10-15 minute, until crispy. (Check often to make sure the tortillas don't burn - I was using homemade tortillas and they took closer to 15 minutes. I'm guessing store bought may not take as long.)
Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, combine lime juice, chipotle Chile, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, honey or agave nectar, cumin and sea salt. Process until mixture is smooth.
Toss desired amount of dressing with the quinoa mixture.
Plate quinoa and top with avocado and tortilla strips. (If making ahead, wait to put avocado and tortilla strips on at the last minute. Store leftover tortilla strips in an air tight bag, and return to oven to crisp if desired prior to serving.)
Tips for Making This Recipe:
- Be sure to keep a close eye on the tortilla strips. They go from perfect to burnt very quickly!
- If you are making this recipe ahead of time, wait until you are ready to serve to add the avocado. The rest of the salad (minus the tortillas) may be made and stored in the refrigerator for four to five days. It is perfect to take to work for lunch!
Variations for This Recipe:
- Instead of toasting tortillas, serve with organic Blue Corn Tortillas.
- Add in 4 ounces shredded cheddar. (Traditional or Vegan work!)
- Serve over a bed of shredded romaine lettuce.
- Top with Avocado Cream or Avocado Hummus.
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 468mg | Potassium: 585mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 440IU | Vitamin C: 12.6mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 2.5mg