Quick Pickled Onions
These Quick Pickled Onions are a delicious way to elevate your sandwichs or salads! You can adjust them to your taste, making them either spicy or sweet.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup or sweetener
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 red onions cut in half and sliced thin
In a medium saucepan bring vinegars, maple syrup, peppercorns and sea salt to a boil.
Add onions and return to a boil. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
Cover and allow to cool completely. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Tips for Making Easy Pickled Onions
- If your kids are like mine, you may want to use the vent fan on the stove while heating the vinegar. It has a way of permeating through the house. (Probably best not to make these right before you have a party!)
- To save time, use your food processor to slice the onions.
Serving Suggestions for Quick Pickled Red Onions
These onions are the perfect way to liven up so many meals! Use them in wraps, sandwiches, burgers, salads and bowls.
Some Recipes They Are Great With:
Other Variations for Quick Pickled Onions
- Add in the zest and juice from three limes and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- Add the juice of 1 orange.
- For a different twist, use white vinegar, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 whole cloves, 1 bay leaf and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Calories: 25kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Sodium: 294mg | Potassium: 69mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.2mg