Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
These are quite simply the best Best Easy Quinoa Stuffed Peppers of All Time! Simple to make, delicious and nutritious, you will find yourself making these quinoa stuffed bell peppers time and again. Stuffed peppers with quinoa are a great make ahead weeknight meal.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 6 bell peppers tops cut, stemmed and seeded
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 ounces green chiles (from a can)
- 1 cup corn kernels thawed
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves chopped fresh
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or more to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cut the top of the bell peppers. Remove the stem and carefully seed the peppers, leaving the rest of the pepper intact.
Line a 13 x 9 baking dish with parchment paper. (You can also use a baking sheet.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, green chiles, corn, beans, tomatoes, cheeses, cilantro, cumin, garlic, onion and chili powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
Spoon the quinoa mixture into each each bell pepper cavity.
Place on prepared baking dish, cavity side up, and bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated through, about 25-30 minutes.
Variations for this Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- Use 1/2 cup taco sauce in place of the diced tomatoes and 1 tablespoon of taco season in place of the cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder. Use cheddar cheese in place of the feta.
- To Make Quinoa and Beef Stuffed Peppers, sauté 8 ounces ground beef and add it to the quinoa mixture. You could do the same with turkey to make quinoa turkey stuffed peppers.
- Add 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa in place of the diced tomatoes, and replace the cheese with shredded mozzarella.
For an extra kick add a diced jalapeño or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
- For a different flavor twist, try broiling the peppers before filling them. This brings out their flavors. To do this, Broil for about 8 minutes until they are charred. Cover and let them stand for 10 minutes before peeling and discarding the skins.
Tips for Making Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa
- Red bell peppers tend to be more expensive than green peppers. If you are trying to stay on a budget, I would recommend using green peppers.
- Smaller bell peppers that are square and have a flat bottle will stand up better and are easier to work with.
Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 276mg | Potassium: 572mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3965IU | Vitamin C: 154.6mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 2.9mg