Vegan Quinoa Burger
Looking for a healthy dinner you can feel good about serving? Try this Vegan Quinoa Burger. With black beans and quinoa, this burger is protein packed.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed organic
- 4.5 tablespoons warm water
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal organic
- 1 yellow onion diced, or white
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced (more or less to taste)
- 2 teaspoons natural liquid smoke optional
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups black beans cooked or canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup bread crumbs gluten free
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley minced
- Coconut oil - or oil of choice - for cooking
Make flax eggs by combining ground flax seed (or flax meal) with warm water and mixing well. Set aside.
Combine flour and cornmeal in a small dish and set aside.
Heat a large skillet to medium heat and spray with olive oil. Add onion, jalapeno, and red bell pepper. Cook for 10 -12 minutes, until tender.
Add garlic and cook for one minute more. Sprinkle with liquid smoke (if using), oregano, crushed red pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and salt and remove from heat.
Place black beans and quinoa in a food processor and pulse a few times until the beans are mashed but not pureed. Alternatively, mash with a potato masher or large fork.
Transfer to a bowl and combine with onion mixture, bread crumbs and parsley. Stir in flax egg.
Form into 6 patties and dredge each patty in flour/cornmeal mixture to coat. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to allow to set. (Or the refrigerator for a couple of hours.)
Heat a large skillet to medium heat and coat with oil. Add patties and cook until brown, about 10 to 12 minutes per side.
Variations for Vegan Quinoa Burgers
- To Bake These Vegan Burgers: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with oil. Place the burgers on the pan and spry the tops. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until lightly brown.
- To Airfry: Preheat the Air Fryer to 360 degrees. Lightly spray both sides of the burger. Place in the AirFryer and cook for 20 minutes, flipping half way through.
Tips for Making Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
- To help these burgers stick together, make sure the ingredients are well mashed. You can do this with your hands or use a potato masher.
- These burgers may be individually wrapped and frozen for up to three months. Defrost in the refrigerator and reheat in a skillet with oil or in an air fryer.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 283mg | Potassium: 416mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 870IU | Vitamin C: 27.1mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 3.2mg