Slow Cooker Black Beans
Once you try these Slow Cooker Black Beans, you won’t want to go back to canned! Smokey and flavor packed they are the perfect way to add an extra burst of flavor to any dish.
- 1 pound dried black beans soaked overnight
- 8 ounces turkey bacon optional; for a vegan option add 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large white onion diced (or 2 small)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth as needed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
Drain black beans and place in your slow cooker.
Add bacon, onion, garlic powder, bay leaf, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and broth.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours, adding the salt in the last 30 minutes.
Add more liquid as needed.
Tips, Variations and Serving Suggestions for Slow Cooker Black Beans
- Do not skip soaking and rinsing!
- I recommend testing at the 6-hour mark if you are cooking on low or at 3 hours if cooking on high.
- This recipe freezes very well! I like to divide store them in 1 1/2 cup portions, which is the same as most cans. To use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. (See FAQ for more on freezing.)
Serving Suggestions - Recipes
- For an extra kick, add in 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- I like to serve these with a squeeze of fresh lime juice on top.
- Add in dried avocado leaves. Avocado leave add an authentic Mexican flavor that is reminiscent of anise.
- Add in a diced green onion.
Calories: 212kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 1111mg | Potassium: 725mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 55IU | Vitamin C: 6.2mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 2.6mg