Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
This Quinoa Broccoli Casserole is easy to make and packed with flavor! With cheddar, goat cheese and a hint of kick this healthy recipe makes a great family meal. Make it vegetarian by substituting tempeh for the chicken.
- 6 tablespoons pastured butter or olive oil
- 6 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese shredded and divided or Daiya
- 3 ounces seasoned goat cheese or Daiya
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 16 ounces cooked chicken or tempeh chopped
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk. Stirring constantly, bring to a simmer.
Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened. Reduce heat to low and add in 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, goat cheese, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese melts.
Remove from heat and stir in chicken, quinoa and broccoli. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and top with breadcrumbs.
Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly. Allow to sit 10 minutes before serving.
Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 418mg | Potassium: 317mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 197mg | Iron: 1.7mg