Cheesy Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken & Rice
This Cheesy Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken & Rice is a fabulous weeknight meal that your family will beg you for over and over!
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 poblano peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper less if you prefer less spice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 20 oz RO*TEL
- 16 ounces boneless chicken
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 6 cups cooked rice or quinoa - about 2 cups uncooked
- For topping: Avocado & green onions
Spray a medium skillet with oil and heat to medium-high. Add onion and poblano peppers and cook for 8 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, paprika, sea salt and black pepper and cook for one more minute.
Whisk together broth and RO*TEL in your slow cooker. Add chicken and onion mixture. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3.
Remove chicken and add cheese and Greek yogurt to your slow cooker, whisking to combine. Return cover to slow cooker and shred chicken. Return chicken to the slow cooker and add rice or quinoa. Cook for another hour on low.
Top with avocado and green onions and serve.
Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 862mg | Potassium: 578mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 655IU | Vitamin C: 34.4mg | Calcium: 282mg | Iron: 2.1mg