Strawberry Quinoa Muffins
These Strawberry Quinoa Muffins are a delicious treat that is perfect for a snack or breakfast. So light, it is hard to believe that they are gluten free.
- 2 cups Self-Rising Flour Blend see below
- 1/2 cups coconut palm sugar or sugar of choice
- 1/4 cup Muscovado sugar packed or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 large eggs or flax eggs - 2T ground flax seeds + 6T warm water
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup almond milk milk of choice
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries diced
- Topping Optional
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar of choice
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a twelve-cup muffin tin or line with muffin papers.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars and baking soda. Stir to combine. Add flax seeds and cooked quinoa and stir until it is coated.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Add in coconut oil, milk, applesauce and vanilla and stir to combined. Add to dry mixture and stir until just wet. Fold in strawberries.
Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins. (I like to use an ice cream scoop.) Place in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then remove from muffin tin and place directly on the rack to continue cooling.
If topping, place the melted butter in a small bowl and place the sugar in a separate bowl. Dip the top of the muffin into the butter and then carefully roll in the sugar.
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 125mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 155IU | Vitamin C: 10.6mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1.3mg