Healthy Chicken Nuggets
Just about all kids love chicken nuggets, but unfortunately the ones you buy in the store are typically not so healthy. This recipe for healthy chicken nuggets is one that your little ones will enjoy, and you will feel good about giving them! My kids have no clue that they are eating quinoa chicken nuggets. Although it seems like a lot of ingredients, the breading freezes well. I typically make a double recipe of the breading and freeze what I don’t use.
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs gluten free
- 2 tablespoons quinoa flour or flour of choice
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup milk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Combine almonds, quinoa, breadcrumbs, quinoa flour, flax seeds, parmesan, salt, garlic powder and thyme in a food processer. Process until you have a fine crumb.
Combine egg and milk in a shallow dish.
Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
Place nuggets on a wire rack on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
Tips to Make Healthy Chicken Nuggets:
- If you want to make the chicken extra moist, try soaking the raw chicken in buttermilk for a couple hours before breading.
- The chicken can be breaded ahead of time and frozen. To do this, bread the chicken and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet until frozen solid. Transfer to a baggie once frozen. Thaw out on a cookie sheet in the refrigerator. (If you just pull the back out of the fridge the breading will start to mash together as they thaw out.)
- Once you've made these Healthy Chicken Nuggets and know that your family enjoys them, I recommend doubling the breading and storing it in the freezer.
- These are great for adults when you get the craving for a Crispy Chicken Salad. They would be great in this recipe.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 537mg | Potassium: 400mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 120IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 1.6mg